Monday, August 17, 2009

Yes, that subject

Time to talk about weight. I'm a bit neurotic with my weight. Mostly I want to look cute in (or even just to fit in) my clothes. For summer running needs, I weigh myself first thing in the morning, after a run, and at night to keep track of my hydration. It seems like a bit much, but it keeps me on my toes about the number of water bottles I drink each day. If I see the number on the scale after my uber-sweaty run, it helps me know when I'm back up to my fully-hydrated weight at night.

I'm determined to get to 'race weight' or under this season so that I'm not carrying around too much extra come race day. I'm not the kind of runner who just naturally drops off the pounds when the mileage increases. I even eat a healthier, more balanced, diet than many of my running friends and still struggle with keeping my weight down. Part of it is a thyroid issue and part of it is a love for tasty food.

At our house, I've made a conscious effort to be strict about how our food is prepared (less oil, more steam), the balance of protein, carbs and calories, the quantity of portions, and what we splurge on each week. Yes, I still have a glass of wine or two each week. Yes, I ate one dessert last week. But, the weight is starting to come off and I'm getting closer to the weight I want to be at for the last month of training and for race day.

Training for a marathon is really not the time to try to drop weight, but that is where I am. I will admit that my performace on Saturday might have have been partly affected by my nutrition on Thursday and Friday. I didn't bonk, but I think my water/salt balance was affected by the small changes in my diet this past week.

I just wish I could be like Sisson and only have to stop drinking beer to lose weight.

No comments: