Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Portland Baby Names

Looking forward to next month, Chad and I had a funny conversation the other night about baby names. If we were lucky enough to concieve in Portland, we could be one of those couples who names their kid after the region or city where they were conceived. See, I used to have a student whose name was Austin, who had brothers Phoenix and Rio. I thought at one point he or his mother made a little joke about their names being the cities where they were conceived, but maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

Anyhoo, our brainstorming session went like this, plus a few more that I have giggled about in my head since then...

Portland Jones
Nike Jones (chuckle)
Columbia Jones (from the Columbia River Gorge)
Willamette (Willa) Jones
Hood River Jones
Rogue Voodoo Jones
Portland Rogue Jones (PR for short)

Then we got to giggling about what if we had twins...

Duck and Beaver Jones (gah!)

and my favorite of all...

Twin Boys - Lewis & Clark Jones
or just Boy names
Clark Lewis Jones (matches Chad's initials)
Lewis Clark Jones

I guess as long as we don't have a girl and name her Beaver Jones, most of the other names could be considered.

Any others we should consider should we have a Portland baby?

10 comments:

MW said...

Beaverton Jones
Hood Jones


by the way, I never thanked you for easing up on your blog comment restrictions and not having the Moderator Check delay.
Makes for much more enjoyable viewership when you just trust and simply delete unwanted comments if they ever occur!

The MOB said...

I will have to trust in fate...you will conceive in Austin.

Daryl & Diana said...

I have to say I like Portland for a boy or girl. :) When do you guys go?

Tiffany B. said...

Manifest Destiny Jones. Definitely.

Good luck! I hope you have a great run and an easy time conceiving. It can be a frustrating process and I don't wish that on anybody!

CJ said...

You forgot Prefontaine Jones

Sadie J said...

Dang it, you are right! Baby Pre was one of the best little runner baby names we came up with!

We could have twin athletic boys...Prefontaine Jones the future track star and Voodoo Jones the lightning fast wide reciever/running back.

MW said...

I still think Manchaca Jones should be top 5.
Calamity Jones, and Cousbay Jones are strong too.

Sadie J said...

Focus, Mike, Focus! Portland Baby Names is the topic. I'll take Coosbay Jones, but ixnay on Manchaca or Calamity :)

Also nominated -
Hayward Field Jones
Salmon Eugene Jones

Top 5 so far -
Prefontaine Jones
Lewis and Clark Jones (twins)
Voodoo Jones
Manifest Destiny Jones (aka 'Destiny Jones')
Portland Rogue Jones (Our little PR baby)

kirsten said...

Remember your kid has to live with his or her name for the rest of it's life. This is what can happen...I encountered a kid called Dusty Eugene Trail once.
Good thing you're not going to Indiana...Indiana Jones?

CJ said...

How about Charles Bonk Jones?