Monday, August 17, 2009

Saturday Fail?

Everyone else in the group seems to have blogged about this already, so I might as well. Here is how I planned to do my run and how it went -

Plan - warm up easy, 1st lap conservative MGP (7:40-7:45), 2nd lap conservative HMGP (7:25), 3rd lap MGP (7:38), 4th lap HMGP (7:20-7:25), 5th lap MGP (7:38)

The results -
I don't wear a garmin, so each lap was based on where the mile and half mile cones were placed. I found the counter clockwise cone placement (1,2,3) to be fairly accurate, but the clockwise cones (.5, 1.5, 2.5) to be a little bit off.

Lap 1 (clockwise mgp) 7:41, 7:38, 7:43 - average 7:40 perfect

(took off my tank top because of the heat after this lap and ran in my sports bra)

Lap 2 (counter clockwise hmgp) 7:54 (wtf?), 7:09 (wtf?), 7:38 - average 7:33 - weird lap with the cone placements

Lap 3 (clockwise mgp) 7:40, 7:44, overheat...

Yes, I felt like I was overheating. Not in a 'I'm running hard and it is hot out' kind of overheating, but like I wanted to rip the rest of my clothes off and jump into an ice bath or go to the hospital kind of overheating. I felt faint, sick, goosebumpy, and had the overwhelming urge to sit down. I thought I needed to stop running, so I backed way off the pace. I thought I might have a medical emergency and needed to walk for a little bit to cool off.

At the end of lap 3, I felt a little better from jogging easy and gave lap four a chance, just to get in a few more miles. I wanted to recover, cool off a little bit and see if my body would respond. I felt a twinge of a migraine headache/blood vessel pain in my head and panicked a bit in the middle of lap four. I thought about stopping and calling Chad to come get me right then and there. It passed and I started to feel a little better.

With the heat, it felt like the Nashville marathon kind of day to me. I really wanted to quit after lap four, but I saw Keith starting his last lap and felt guilty. I think he probably wanted to stop running worse than me, but he was out there committing to the last lap. Grrr...I needed to suck it up and keep moving.

The last lap turned out to be better than expected. I got into a groove and felt a cool breeze from time to time. The pace wasn't all that great, but at least I got in the miles. I know people's Garmins said 19 miles or 19.5 miles or 20 miles for the end of the five loops plus warmup. I'm counting it as 20 miles.

I failed to complete the workout successfully, but the part that I did run at pace felt good, especially considering the weather. I really think if the weather was different that I might have run the whole workout correctly.

Other notes - Our group smells bad. I have a very sensitive olfactory system and can smell people's breath, their lotions, shampoo, deodorant, laundry detergent, and BO. When the whole group is together, breathing, sweating, talking, the scent is incredibly strong and almost made me sick a couple of times on Saturday morning. I think I might have to run by myself on the next big group workout so I can focus on my running instead of how everyone smells. If I was a dog, I would be a bloodhound.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what they need is a Deodorant + Body Glide option!

Kevin said...

I confess. ... I know one of those smells you smell are my shoes - they get so sweaty/funky when its hot outside. I'll try to stay away from you on runs :-)
And by the way, I think the weather Saturday was impossible and I think the workout was impossible. We will never run a marathon where we run part of the marathon at HMGP. At least i wont and i know you wont. Remember, you are the one who told me a long time ago that the workouts will be much harder than the race itself. So, I dont think you failed at all. I think you were smart when your body started going crazy and yet you completed the workout.

Unknown said...

Come stand in the store on Saturday mornings...Oh, my;-)

kirsten said...

Yeah Sadie it was awful on Saturday. We had our wierd little base buster but at least it was reasonable. I made it until mile 17 and then struggled a bit for the next 3 and pulled it together on the last 1 mile. What it comes down to is that you would not be able to race at your MGP under these conditions forget about HMGP! You did great...there were plenty of people in our grp who did not even try complete the workout!! I know the smell thing...some people worse than others!

MW said...

Sadie, Sorry to hear of your overheating. When I get the "Brain boil", i stop running. I'm glad you did too!

As for scents, you should run behind Vacason. he wears so much cologne to work, it still reeks the day after, so you don't smell the stench of kevin's shoes!

Kevin: "only those who see the invisible, can do the impossible."