Thursday, August 06, 2009

flaw -> fast

flaw-
1: a defect in physical structure or form
2: an imperfection or weakness, especially one that detracts from the whole or hinders effectiveness

Steve watched us run uphill today with an exaggerated stride and pointed out a flaw in my form. My left arm tends to lift up and pull across my body when I get tired. He suggested I focus on my armswing straight forward, even if it seemed a bit robotic at first.

When we got to the top of the hill to the flat part of the workout to do the tempo pace 800m, I ran at a slightly faster than easy pace, but purposely did not go fast enough to tax my hamstring.

We ran up, then down, then up, then around and down, then up, then down, then up, then around and down. On my third trip up the hill, I must have looked strong (I sure felt strong) because coach told me I looked good and was better more and more with each repeat. Running up the hill four times focusing on the prancing stride and my arms moving straight forward was more of a feat of focus and control rather than a feat of fitness. I felt good, strong, and in proper form for once.

The group dynamic was terrific with support this morning as well. It seemed like a love-fest at times with all of the positive messages of encouragement shared back and forth.

Hopefully, this new hill phase will work for me to make me fast up the hill with better form and less effort. Either way, workout today was fun, the company was good with Nedra, Renee, Michael during the warmup, and the entire team on the hill.

(change one letter game)
flaw
flat
feat
fest
fast

flaw -> fast
(looks like I'm heading in the right direction)

No comments: