Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Running Update a la Forrest Gump

"Now you wouldn't believe me if I told you, but I could run like the wind blows."

That was the attitude two weeks ago. In the middle of trying to recover from my hamstring, I tried to continue running with the group like the doctor suggested. In hindsight, that was probably a bad idea. Running like the wind blows proved to be a problem.

"Stupid is as stupid does."

Running hard two Saturdays ago during one of our 'Race Prep' long runs is stupid. I knew better than to go for my ultimate MGP. I should have been a little more conservative and tried for 8:00 or 8:15/mile. Nope, I went for 7:38 and suffered a setback. I cramped up big time in my injured hamstring and made training difficult for the next week.

"My Mama always said you've got to put the past behind you before you can move on."

I'm trying so hard to move on from this hamstring injury. Got my official discharge from the Airrosti doctor yesterday. Seems like I need to focus on where I am now, not where I was a month ago in my fitness and do the best that I can from here on out until Portland.

"When I got tired, I slept. When I got hungry, I ate. When I had to go, you know, I went."
Elderly Southern Woman on Park Bench: "And so, you just ran?"
"Yeah."

That pretty much sums up what training has been like for the past few weeks. The good news is I have run for four days without any pain and this morning's fourteen miler was the best run I have had in a while.

"That's all I have to say about that."

1 comment:

Daryl & Diana said...

Very cute. :)