Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Big One

This morning was our biggest workout of the season. I consider it a big personal success in the bag. Here is the dirty -
  • Warm up to the Anderson HS track
  • One mile HARD on the track (start at 10k pace and build to finish with full speed effort) - 6:53
  • Easy miles to mile 4
  • 5 miles of MGP (my goal is 7:38 pace)- I don't wear a Garmin, but my total time for this stretch was 37:51 (7:34 average pace - woot! but better stay conservative on the next set)
  • rest 3-5 minutes and get water
  • 4 miles MGP (the tougher, little hilly section that I decided to run more conservatively) - total time 31:20 (7:50 average)
  • Average for all 9 miles MGP was 7:41 (yay!)
  • 5 miles of difficult hills as easy as we wanted for pace (Redbud in both directions, a few less strenuous miles in Westlake, and Stratford, ugh!)
  • closing miles - 6 miles on the track - 2 miles MGP (7:38), 2 miles HMGP (7:20 for me), 2 miles 10k pace (7:00 for me)
I struggled a bit during the track part, but most people did. I nailed the first two miles at MGP. I ran one and a half laps of the HMGP miles perfectly, then started to crash. At that point, I asked Steve to help me get through the mental barrier. He said to take one easy lap, then get back into MGP pace and hold on as long as I could. At any point I felt like cratering again, I had permission to run an easy lap, then get right back into MGP.

Did I finish it out? Yup, and I think I did pretty well. I took the remaining three and a half miles lap-by-lap just trying to hit the right pace and found that I was able to recover for a lap and then latch right back onto MGP. I also recruited Chad to run some of the laps with me to help keep me going forward. (sigh...he is the best)

Of the 14 laps remaining, I hit 6 of the laps right at MGP or pretty darn close (1:54-1:56 per lap). Four of the other 14 laps were between 1:57 and 1:58. I ran one lap at 2:00 (3:30 marathon pace). So that leaves three laps of slower running - the first recovery lap, the third or fourth lap at the end of mile four (where my watch malfunctioned due to user error), and the last lap of mile 5 (which was only at 2:10 because of a side stitch that brought me to a walk for about 30 meters). The last mile was at 7:50 and my last lap was at goal MGP pace. My favorite part of the track miles was when I yelled out with one lap to go - "I know I can finish this one!!"

Total distance - pretty darn close to 26.2 miles.
Total time - estimated 3:43:42 because of the missed time during mile four on the track.

That is pretty good in my book. If I was 35 years old, that would be a BQ on a hot day, through some tough hills. Had we run a flat course for those 5 hilly miles, I think I would have been at least 7-10 minutes faster, even with a conservative pace...PR baby! Had we run in 50 degree weather and on a flatter course, there is no telling how much faster I would have been. :)

Things I learned about myself today that I don't usually experience with the team - I was able to focus on my pace beyond what my friends' paces were and how fast they were running. I learned how to hit a mental barrier without letting it upset me and making me cry. I learned how to push beyond the mental barrier in a Soul Buster workout to achieve some sort of success. I ran with Chad and did not get emotional when I felt like crap (damsel in distress syndrome). I learned to find my 'happy place', even when I wasn't feeling all that happy. I learned how to relax my face when tired...at the prompting of Coach Sisson.

Good times...but I really am considering less painful hobbies.

5 comments:

Keith said...

You were a rock star out there today. You looked strong, you kept going, and you didn't let it tear you down. Enjoy the wine tonight, you more than earned it.

Anonymous said...

That is phenomenal.

Kevin said...

That is un-friggin'-believable. Nice times. Like Keith said, you looked real strong... I saw no quit in your face at all today. No quit. YOU ARE WOMAN. We heard you roar!

Mark said...

Yahoo! Good job, Sadie!

MW said...

Good. Job.

(that's all I'm allowed to say )