Thursday, August 20, 2009

Gah...technology!

I spent an hour this morning trying to get an internet connection. I bet it was the router...is almost always the router. Unplug, replug, boom it works 90% of the time. Nope. Unplug router, shut down computer, replug, restart, nope. Security software check - firewall settings, nope, not the culprit. Checked the network settings, nope. Unplugged the cord from router and directly into modem...yup, that worked. I can get internet now, so I know it is not Time Warner that is the problem, but I need internet to work through my router so that my work laptop will function wirelessly in addition to my home computer. Check security settings and firewall again, nope. Try modem reset again, nope. Plug directly back into modem again, okay, but now I better read up on the internet how to best troubleshoot. I checked my IP address through the run/CMD box. I pinged. I did all of that. All checked out A-OK, but alas, no internet when I plug through the router. I told you it is almost always the router that causes the problem.

Solution? Shut down computer. Power off router. Power off modem. Wait a little while. Cross fingers. Power on modem. Wait until all the lights are on and then just a little longer for good measure. Power on router. Wait until all the lights are on then still a little longer. Power on computer. Still crossing fingers...my work laptop acknowledged the wireless signal before the home computer was fully powered up, so I test Google. Hooray!!! Work computer online! I try the home computer...success!

As much as I love technology, I hate it hate it hate it when it doesn't perform like I expect it to.

4 comments:

Keith said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that waits "a little longer for good measure." I always feel silly doing it, but it always works.

MW said...

shoulda bought a mac.
(is what some would say)

U'verse only offers Wireless option, and give you a wireless plugin thingie to your desktop.
just sayin'

Sadie J said...

I would love a mac, but my piece of shit computer is still kicking and I have other things to spend my money on.

U-verse not available at our address, despite the fact that it is available down the street. Grrr.

MW said...

i can't afford a mac. don't think i ever will be able to afford one.

maybe our rich friend Keith can buy us one each!