Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I Get Around

Today's workout was on the track. I normally don't care for the track, especially for repeats over 400m, but since we have been doing so much road work this season, it was really nice to do something different.

In honor of the workout , now playing- I Get Around by The Beach Boys

The workout - warmup, 6 x 1 mile (800 HMGP/800 10k pace) on the track, cooldown.

According to the McMillan Calculator, I should be running 7:15 pace for HMGP and 6:51 pace for 10k. Since I have yet to run a 10k faster than 7:15 pace in real life, I decided to be a little conservative this morning with the goal times. I aimed for 7:20-7:24 pace for the HMGP and as close as I could get to 7:00 for the 10k. For the 800s, this would mean doing the workout alternating between 3:40 and 3:30 every two laps.

Here is how it went -

Mile 1 - 3:35 (too fast)/3:39 (too slow) - note, I'm usually a rock star at hitting paces consistently on the track, so it was very frustrating to start out the day like this.

It got better right away.
Mile 2 - 3:39/3:30
Mile 3 - 3:40/3:31
Mile 4 - 3:40/3:30
Mile 5 - 3:41/3:28
Mile 6 - 3:44/3:32

I'm pleased with my performance. I felt like I locked in on the proper paces pretty well and mostly maintained my efforts throughout the workout. I really expected to alternate between 3:42/3:32 the whole time, so the fact that miles 2-5 were so consistent and fast makes me feel really good about the workout. The last mile really wasn't all that slow. It was pretty close to the paces that I wanted to hit from the beginning. I refuse to see it as getting tired because I wasn't.

I am not supposed to do the workout on Thursday because I'm on my own special program...woohoo! Next up on my plate is the Soul Buster this weekend. I'm going to try to channel today's consistency on the track to make it through.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Nice job... you looked consistent and strong during the workout.