Friday, July 24, 2009

Lemon-Poppy Teacakes - Babycakes - Attempt 1



A close up of the Lemon-Poppy Teacake would have been nice, I know, but I have been so quick to devour these babies that a quick shot of half of a muffin will have to suffice. The other half disappeared before I was able to add the sugar (cane juice crystals, actually) to my tea. As a first attempt at this Babycakes recipe, there wasn't much deviation. I only had unsweetened coconut milk instead of rice milk, so that is deviation one. Deviation two was the extra couple of teaspoons of poppy seeds that were left over after I measured the proper amount. I couldn't stand to see the poppy seeds left with so much room in the container, so I just scooped them right into the mix. The final deviation was using muffin tins and mini-loaf pans instead of a regular loaf pan. I was in the mood for small bites, what else can I say?

The recipe is lovely. The flavor has just the right balance of lemon tart, agave sweet, and nuttiness of poppy seeds. Texture-wise, the teacakes had a bit more spring to them, sort of like a sponge cake, which was surprising. I was expecting more of a crumble. After two tries now with the recommended coating of oil in the pan for the recipes in this Babycakes cookbook, I'm not so sure it is needed. It seems like the end result leaves the edges of the cake a little mushy. Seems that the recipe has enough oil in it already that I don't need as much (or any) oil in the pans that I am using.

Overall, I totally dig these muffins. They work easily as breakfast, dessert, or just as they are intended...with tea.

No comments: