Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Big Items for Birthday/Christmas

I know, we're supposed to be in a recession that we may or may not be recovering from. It may sound greedy to already be talking about what I want for my birthday or Christmas this year. I'm just sayin' that there are some things out there that I have my eye on and am ready to put it out there into the world.

I don't expect anyone to get these for me...these are just things that I know that I am ready to spend some money on. I have put thought into these items and they are not just things that I want to have because it is stuff I'm supposed to like...they will actually get used. If you knew me, you would know that I am not 'greedy'. Sure, I don't mind spending money for quality things and we definitely have things that we need and want in our house, but greedy I am not.

I drive a nine year old car. The few items in my closet that are 'expensive' were likely purchased on sale and have been worn lots of times. I don't have expensive purses or accessories. I don't color my hair. We shop at Costco. We pay our credit cards off every month. We put money into savings. The things that I do spend money on tend to be quality items that have had considerable thought put into before purchasing. Can you tell I feel a little guilty even blogging about wanting something??

Anyhoo...For the past couple of years I have been lusting after a few things that I am ready to plunk down some money for. There is still some research to do, but here is my short list. -

A Cruiser Bike - Why? Though I would secretly love to live in Europe cruising around small villages, drinking wine and preparing fancy meals every evening (I love the paragraph on white women's bikes), that is not why I want a European-styled cruiser bike. Really, it is because I would like to ride a bike for leisure and not be afraid of it. I am afraid of the road bike I currently own. I would like a bike that will let me put my feet down without having to completely dismount the bike. I'm pretty sure the brand that I want is either Electra or a Trek and I'm pretty sure I want it to have a fender and some sort of basket/shelf. Not exactly like the one below, but you get the idea.




A removable-lens high quality digital camera - Still need to do my research here. The price range can be so great on these types of cameras, but I do know that I enjoy taking pictures with my Sony Powershot, and I have gotten compliments on some of the pics that I have taken with it. The inner seventh grade yearbook photographer (yes, I was one of the three chosen) in me would love to take better pics with better lenses and actually take a class to improve my skills. I don't know if I'm a Nikon girl or a Canon girl or a Sony girl or whatever...I just know that I would like a good removable lens digital camera to work with. That and maybe an extra lens and some filters and a tripod :). If you have one that you don't use, can I try it out??


That is the short list. I don't really want anything else specific.

Do you have any special items you are thinking about purchasing this year?

5 comments:

Texas Transplant said...

I have an Electra Townie and I LOVE it. Cruisers are a slipper slope though, because then I bought the BF a Schwinn Singlespeed Aerosport Replica and then I found a 1976 Schwinn Speedster that I couldn't live without at a bike swap. So now instead of one cruiser, we have 3. Every Austinite needs a cruiser (note that I said cruiser and not fixie) to cruise around town on.

MW said...

For #2, make sure it's an SLR.

I LOVE my canon Rebel XT. I don't use it nearly often enough so you're welcome to borrow it for an extended period if you'd like. Just let me know, and play all you want! I'm serious. ( I just can't offer more than one lense since I kinda broke my zoom lense at the rose bowl becuade VY got me too exicted beating the trojans. But that was a simple price to pay!)

Why SLR ... Google it or here's one link...
http://reviews.cnet.com/dslr-buying-guide/

kirsten said...

I would like to spend $1 and buy a multi million $ winning lottery ticket so I can move somewhere cooler for the summer, not work, and continue to enjoy my running and horses!

meredith said...

I love both of your gift ideas! I am dying for a great camera. My anniversary present was turning my mountain bike into a cruiser of sorts so that I can run errands. I love it! Great choices :)

See you soon!
m

Unknown said...

Love the list. I totally agree about the bike thing. I have a lovely road bike that sits in my home collecting dust. Great gifts!!!