Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Hamstring cries Uncle!

My hamstring is pissed off. Some of you know that this weekend's long run did not go as planned and my hamstring flared at about mile 12. What I thought was a good sign, that I was able to easy jog to the finish without pain (only tightness), turned out to be wrong.

I got my airrosti treatment on Monday and the doctor brought me to tears on the table with the amount of pain the treatment caused. It felt like he was ripping the flesh right off the back of my leg. Even just lightly touching my skin to put more massage cream on it burned like nobody's business. I knew there would be bruising.

Remember, I'm supposed to be running. Doctor says to run. So, Tuesday's run started off just fine. I felt sluggish going uphill, good on the flats and downhills. No pain at all until about mile 7 out of 9. Then, the hamstring started to flare again. I tried to just run easy, but could tell that this week my hamstring is not going to be pain-free.

This morning, I couldn't run 4 miles without walking. It hurts. Bad. I iced twice yesterday, did the roller like I'm supposed to, and have subjected myself to a three-bag ice bath this morning. I'm not going to run tomorrow or Friday and will probably just do some easy mileage on my own on Saturday away from the group. I don't want to be in pain and feel pressure to do more miles with the group.

Oh, and after removing the tape from the back of my legs, there is bruising all along my calf and hamstring. I knew it was hurting pretty bad. I couldn't even sleep well the past couple of nights without taking an Advil to dull the ache.

Ugh. Guess I'm going to have to re-think my Portland goals (if my body will even let me run Portland).

1 comment:

Texas Transplant said...

I'm sorry about your hamstring! What do you think happened? Weren't you feeling really good last week? You still have like two months til Portland....