Thursday, July 16, 2009

Gluten-Free Banana Muffins

I have been experimenting with some gluten-free baking. I miss eating 'real bread' so much that I have caved and had the evil stuff recently (croissants, pastry tart, breading on fish). Usually when I follow a GF recipe, the result is either too dry or too icky tasting. It seems like GF baked goods just don't taste as good when you are used to the 'real' stuff.

The main recipe that I have been working on is GF Banana Muffins with a texture similar to regular old banana bread. My goal has been to get it as close as I can remember the traditional recipe to taste. Yesterday evening I lucked into this recipe because I just happened to have some items in the kitchen that I needed to use up (simple syrup and apple topping. My recipe very loosely follows the 'Lower Fat Banana Bread' recipe out of Veganomicon, but as you can see below it is very loose. I also am pleased that my recipe is a small batch and only uses 6 muffin cups, perfect for that last single mushy banana that always ends up left over in our house.

I realize that not everyone wants to commit to having all of the gluten free flours in their house unless they love to bake and require a gluten-free diet The mix below has produced the best results for this particular muffin. If you try it, please let me know what you think!

Oven at 375

Wet ingredients
One mushy banana, smashed to complete mush with a fork
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 Large Tbsp chunky applesauce (I had some overly sweet homemade cinnamon 'applesauce' that could easily have doubled for ice cream topping or pie filling left over in the fridge. It was very very chunky.)
2-3 oz simple syrup (again, one of those things I happened to have in the fridge)
1 tsp molasses (iffy for celiacs - be sure it is truly gluten free or just omit)

Dry ingredients
1/4 cup white rice flour (Arrowhead Mills)
1/4 cup sweet sorghum flour (Bob's Red Mill)
1/4 cup garbanzo flour (Bob's Red Mill)
1/4 cup garbanzo & fava flour (Bob's Red Mill)
3/8 tsp baking soda
3/8 tsp xanthan gum (got it in the baking aisle at Whole Foods)
1/2 tsp cinnamon (or just sprinkle a good dusting over the top of the flour mix)
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg (or just sprinkle a good dusting over the top of the flour mix)
1/4 tsp salt (or just a pinch or two)

In a medium to large bowl, mash the banana and mix the wet ingredients together very well. If your applesauce is very chunky like mine, it is okay. Sift all of the dry ingredients together on top of the wet mixture and mix gently with a wooden spoon just until the dry ingredients are incorporated. Do not overmix. Divide evenly into 6 muffin cups and bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes or until top does not yield to your finger pressure and your kitchen smells delicious. I used a silicon pan, so adjust your time as needed depending on your oven heat and the pan you choose.

Remove from oven and let cool on a rack in the muffin tin for 20 minutes, then remove muffins to continue cooling beyond that time. Enjoy!




No comments: