Friday, September 18, 2009

UT v TxTech - We're not rivals!

My recent Facebook status -

"Even though we care about the score and we know it is a big game this weekend, and even though you like to claim us as one, remember...we're not rivals! A&M and OU already have that covered."

Sometimes I wonder what Tech fans are thinking...you ask a Tech fan who their big rival is and they'll likely say Texas or Texas A&M. I don't know, maybe there are other teams out there like OU or OKState that they want to claim as their big rival as well.

I don't think A&M claims Tech to be a rival...several of my Aggie friends 'liked' my Facebook status, which leads me to believe they feel the same way Texas does.

Lesson for Tech fans -
UT and A&M are rivals.
UT and OU are rivals.
OU and OK State are rivals.
even OU & A&M might be rivals.

UT and TxTech are not rivals! Understand - We still want to beat you. We still hate it when you beat us. Your team is the third wheel, the red-headed stepchild. Not everyone can be rivals with us. Sorry Tech.

Your players and fans are nasty. I'll never forget the Tech players who turned to Longhorn Band members and cussed them out one of the years we went to Lubbock...really, do you need to threaten a clarinet player when you are twice his size and probably three times his strength. It was so low class. Let your fans and students in the stands cuss at us. Hell, let the Tech Band cuss at us (which I don't ever remember happening). But a player cussing at a band member? Ridiculous and low class.

Watch the game this weekend. Read the coverage in the paper. See who uses the word 'rivalry' to describe our relationship. Anyone who does so just doesn't get it and definitely did not go to UT.

Hook 'Em Horns!

Edit - Music Change - Eyes and Texas Fight are now playing. I can't tell if these recordings are from the LHB album with the Blue Cover (Farewell to the SWC or something like that) that they used to sell at the CoOp, but if it is...you are listening to me on piccolo!

2 comments:

MW said...

Correct. And what I think is interesting is every team that plays Texas, takes It as their National Championship, their Superbowl.

What I love is how non-conference teams' season ticket sales increase the years they play Texas. ESPN had an interesting writeup about that recently.

Daryl & Diana said...

Then there was the year they tore down their goalposts and shoved them into the Aggies fan section, which were still full of people.