Thursday, September 03, 2009

sleep, glorious sleep

There is this article on the Runners World website about American distance runner Tera Moody and her issues with sleep. Many of you know that I cherish my sleep and can nap like a pro, but I have also blogged in the past regarding bouts of insomnia. This article could not be better timed. Over the past week or so, I have been struggling with waking up in the middle of the night between 1:45 and 3:30. Sometimes it is to go to the restroom, but often times I simply wake up from a dream, startled, and choose to get up and go to the restroom for fear of having to wake back up again in an hour. I wish I could figure out how to stop waking up at 2:45am. I stay up for at least 30 minutes, if not an hour. During that time, I try to lay really still in the bed and relax my body and mind.

Marriage sure can mess with a sleep schedule. I really wish Chad and I were on the same schedule. He gets up routinely at 5:45am, but usually doesn't go to sleep until after 10:30. I get up at 4:25 three mornings a week, 4:40 one morning, and try to sleep as late as possible on the other mornings. Really, I'm completely exhausted most of the time. Sometimes in middle of the night, when I am up at 2:45, desperately trying to lay still and fall back asleep, his breathing seems so loud (and he doesn't even snore!). I don't know what I would do if he was a snorer, so I definitely consider myself lucky. In a dream world, I would like to get up at 6:30am each day, get my run in at 7am, and go to bed by 10pm to ensure sleep by 10:30pm. I would more closely match Chad's schedule and still get the long stretch of sleep that my body needs.

Anyhow, I related to parts of the article. I appreciated the emphasis that was put on sleep's role in athletic performance. Seems like most of us could use more sleep.

2 comments:

kirsten said...

I have had stretches of weeks were I could not sleep more than 3-4 hours at night. Of course I could sleep fine during the day. The worst was in the 2 months between the Austin and Boston marathons 2008. The cause - stress from training too hard. Even though I finally yelled uncle and totally slacked off in the month before Boston because my legs weren't going anywhere, it probably took me 6 weeks after Boston for the problem to fully resolve.
I empathize with your situation - when you know you have to get up at 4:25 and you go to bed at 10 and wake up at 2 it just sucks.

Unknown said...

I heart sleep.

I think your dream schedule is the PERFECT sleep schedule.