Thursday, September 10, 2009

Non-Running Related Stuff

I thought you could use an update on what else is going on...
  • Movies - We've been watching a lot of movies from Netflix lately. Our new Blu-Ray player streams movies instantly, so between all of the Weeds episodes and the movies on discs we've gotten through the mail, we've seen lots of movies lately - Spirit of the Marathon, I am Legend, Run Fat Boy Run, Match Point, The Reader - and TV shows as well - True Blood (seasons 1 and 2), Weeds (we're about to start season 3), The Office (UK version - just saw the first episode). In the theater, we just saw 500 Days of Summer this past weekend.
  • TV - In the summer, I watch Big Brother and So You Think You Can Dance, but please don't think less of me. Chad and I were excited about Top Chef Masters this summer, and now that Top Chef Las Vegas has started, we definitely have been keeping up. Last night I watched the new season 6 of SYTYCD, and Chad was not pleased to see that my summer show will be on in the Fall. Glee officially premiered last night for the start of the new fall series, and I loved it! Chad thought it was okay, I think, though I doubt he'll look forward to it like I will. It is funny and smart, and in a few ways a bit dark. I actually hope the less-than-gleeful story lines continue to develop...makes the funny moments stand out more. I also like how the show has lots of hidden humor that you have to look for. Give it a try if you are even thinking about watching it this fall.
  • Food - We haven't really eaten out much lately. I think sticking to a budget and eating more at home has helped us stick to places like Galaxy Cafe and Chipotle. Terra Burger is my new interest when I am craving something like junk food. The lure of organic fast food is like when you justify to yourself that a milkshake or ice cream is good for you because it has calcium in it. We have only really been once for a whole meal and it was well deserved during our hardest week of training.
  • Books - I can no longer claim that I don't read. I am a reader (gah!!!). Since joining our book club last fall I have read 16 1/2 books. Wow, who would have thought that this non-reader would be into turning pages like I have this past year. Not all of them have been book club books, either. I was introduced to Goodreads, which has allowed me to track the books I have read, get recommendations from other friends, read reviews of books I am interested in, and just simply keep me motivated to try to keep up my new reading habit. If you like books and join Goodreads, find me and ask me to be your friend. I'd love to see what is on your shelf.

Quotes - My favorites of the week. (Keith blogged a quote today from a book that he is reading, which I was about to do, so I'm going to copycat and then add one from that social networking site that he detests so much.)

"That which you manifest is before you." - Garth Stein, The Art of Racing in the Rain

In response to my admiring Chad's installation of a new ceiling fan this weekend:

"It's nice when they're handy around the house instead of just pretty, isn't it?" - Kate McLaughlin

1 comment:

Texas Transplant said...

I am a prolific reader so I'm going to have to check that site out. Thanks!! If I sign up we'll have to be reader friends. And is there really anything so long with social networking (even when you are completely addicted to it?) BTW, the correct answer is no. It's for playing scrabble, doh!