Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Half-Carafe

Is your glass half-empty or half-full? The answer was given to me at happy office last night, both literally and figuratively. When you order a half-carafe of house wine and they bring you a completely full to the brim carafe that spills over onto the table even as the waiter plops it on the table, the answer to the half-empty half-full question is fully evident. In so many ways, my glass is completely full.

I got a vote of confidence from Steve that I will come in within a reasonable range of my goal and that he trusts me enough to run smartly. I have permission to make a race plan for my 3:20 goal. He also is not worried about me on the downhill sections. Finally some positive goal speak from the man.

Back to the half-carafe - My 'shoulda been 1.5+ glasses' easily became 2.5+ glasses, even after letting Kevin take a few ounces from the full to the top glass carafe. I was so buzzed. My speech might have been a little slurred, but I like to think that it wasn't. Ack! I had almost three glasses of house red on an empty stomach (damn wheat intolerance does not allow for pizza eating) and this lightweight girl was all smiles at the end of two hours of sipping wine.

Don't worry, though. Chad and I have a pact to call each other if we are in the buzzed driving predicament while we are out on our own. He came and picked me up, we went for dinner and by the time 8:45 rolled around, the buzz was gone and I was able to drive safely.

Maybe a glass half-full would be easier to deal with than a full half-carafe spilling over.

1 comment:

kirsten said...

Good plan Sadie...now if other Austinites could follow your lead everything would be rosie. Sounds like a fun evening.