Monday, September 28, 2009

Things to Avoid During Your Taper

Everyone has heard these things, the common items that coaches and other athletes recommend avoiding during the weeks prior to your big race. You've put all of the hard work in, your body is trying to get the rest it needs, so don't go and mess up your whole plan by doing something stupid.
  • Don't start any new house projects - gardening, heavy lifting, painting, etc.
  • Don't start going to the gym every day and lifting weights all the time now that you aren't running as many miles.
  • Don't use your free time to drink like a fish or eat like a pig, even though your appetite might still be really high.
  • Don't stand on your feet all day...Get off of your feet as much as possible the week of your race, especially the 2-3 days before.
I propose another item to add to the list. Chad and I tempted fate yesterday and did something that might jeopardize our race. I suggest we add the following item to the 'Things to Avoid During Your Taper' list.
  • Don't risk your health by holding babies that don't belong to you.

Babies have germs. Powerful ones. Am I worried? A little. On a scale of 1 to 10, maybe about a 3. I love the baby we held yesterday, Aaron. He is my little nephew and I would never suggest that he is a sickly, germy baby. He does, however, harbor germs that I am not exposed to very often and I'm a little worried about how my body will handle it.

Yeah, we washed our hands. We should be fine, but I do have to tell you...Just moments after this pic was taken, I was holding Aaron and he ever so quickly blew spit directly into my mouth. Ack! Gotta love a kid who can read minds and foil your germ-free plan. He is clearly a genius.

2 comments:

MW said...

I see you put gardening instead of mowing the uphill lawn!

The MOB said...

What a cute little man baby!