Monday, September 21, 2009

The Bringer of Jollity

In honor of the spectacular performance by the Goin' Band this weekend, I decided to go a bit classical for a few days. Big props to the Tech band, performing Mars and Jupiter on the field, and in my opinion outshining LHB this weekend (gasp, shock!). I know, it is total blasphemy to say so, but I really think the Tech band has moments of being great.

I do know that their The Planets show was in (at least) its second week of performance for the Goin' Band...I watched the YouTube performance from earlier in the month and it looked and sounded a bit rough. After a few weeks more of practice, they definitely had refined the show, both in look and sound. There were moments of the Jupiter section that made my heart sing, so I have chosen to share the experience with you all here this week. If you lose focus easily, skip to 3:06 to hear the most recognizable theme (at least in my opinion). Just to clarify - this is not the Tech band playing on my blog, just a recording of Jupiter from an unidentified ensemble.

Tech always comes to Texas with a solid sound and always raises the level of performance expected from both bands, especially the brass sections of each band.

LHB chose to perform their traditional 'Wall-to-Wall Band' performance that they will take to OU, so it was traditional (boring for me) and definitely in its first week of performance. At least one band member missed the 'freeze' when it was time to yell 'Beat the Hell out of Texas Tech!'. It looked a little sloppy...bummer.

So, for all of my non-musical friends, if you need to read up on Holst and The Planets, you should. It is required listening.

2 comments:

MW said...

The only way LHB would have beaten Tech's band would have been to Freestyle Texas Fight.
LOL!

Then again, i don't think there's ever been a half time band that hasn't brought a yawn out from me.
; )

Kirsti said...

My freshman year at Westwood, we marched to both Mars and Jupiter. I wish they showed the bands on TV!!