Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Update - blood test

Last Wednesday I went in for a more complicated blood test - the Prolactin stim test. I am not a doctor, so I can't say exactly why the test was ordered, but essentially they are checking to see how my body responds to TRH to help determine more information about my suspected thyroid issues. (At least I think that is the test that I had) Here's a description of some more technical language regarding the test. Prolactin is also stimulated by TRH and is also part of the bloodwork as part of a 'control' (I think).

My appointment was at 8:40am and I was to come fasted. Part of the reason for the fasting is because the test involves administering a hormone that can cause nausea. They set me up in a little room with a recliner and put in an IV. The IV went in pretty easily and I wasn't in any kind of pain. They took some baseline bloodwork and came back after a while to begin the official test. When the nurse administered the stimulating hormone, she warned me that I was going to 'have a strong urge to pee' followed by 'feeling nauseated' followed by a 'bad taste in my mouth'. Ummm...like waking up after a party in college?

She was right. I started feeling the urge to pee. It was so weird. I didn't have to go at all, but I sure felt like I did. That lasted about 20 seconds, then I started feeling really sick to my stomach. The nausea was accompanied by a flushed face and feeling a little faint. There was a moment where I was sure I would be sick, but the nausea passed after about a minute. I never tasted the bad taste in my mouth (thank goodness).

Following the stimulation of the drug, the nurse returned at specific time intervals (estimated at 15 min, 30 min, 1 hour, then 90 minutes-120 minutes) for more blood draws out of the IV line. I wasn't bothered by it at all, and in fact the last hour or so I got to take a nap.

There aren't supposed to be any further side effects of this test, but since the test wasn't over until almost noon, I was sure hungry! They fed me some yummy crackers and juice in the office, and I loaded up at Subway with a sandwich, chips, drink, and a cookie. I still wasn't feeling right. Mostly I was out of sorts trying to regulate my blood sugar back to its normal levels. I typically eat every 2.5-3 hours at home, so going over 15 hours without food took its toll. This was also the morning after a Mac workout, so I was especially craving food.

I get the results in a few weeks when I go back to Dr. Bledsoe for a follow up visit. Hopefully the test was worth it and provides some answers.

No comments: