Friday, September 19, 2008

Singers on TV

With the popularity of American Idol and various 'talent' shows that are on TV these days, I've started to notice how much I despise watching people sing on television. I used to like American Idol, but the only part I really enjoyed was watching how horrific some of the singers are. Once the numbers are narrowed down to the singers who are supposedly the most 'talented', I find American Idol torturous to watch. They are supposed to be good singers? Aaack!

Whenever Oprah has those shows with famous singers (Cher, Celene, Josh Groban, etc.) I can't bear to watch the segments where they actually perform. I can sit and listen to them talk, sure, but when the music starts and they begin to sing, there is some sort of gut reaction in me that makes me grab the remote and start fast-forwarding (thank goodness I only watch it after it has been recorded).

This morning on television, Good Morning America had Jennifer Hudson performing. I like Jennifer Hudson...I just don't want to watch her sing. As I changed the channel, I was horrified to find that the Early Show had Jessica Simpson performing. Double Aaack!!!! I can't get away from these singers! Why does the Today Show have to be on commercials?? It was so shocking and torturous to watch that I was actually mesmerized by Jessica's performance. I don't know how to describe it, but all of the facial tics, body movement, and hand flicks on the microphone just kill me. Does she really need to open her mouth that wide to let out that horribly unsupported voice?

It's probably just me. Obviously some people enjoy watching people sing on TV or the networks would not continue to air these performances. I will simply have to continue changing the channel and cringing.

Edited - Here's what it looked like this morning.  You will need to turn off my music at the bottom to fully appreciate it.


Watch CBS Videos Online

3 comments:

t-bell said...

too funny...i have always wondered why SNL, Letterman, Leno, etc have musical guests. But then again they always play at the end and normal people are long since asleep.

kirsten said...

the thing I notice about american idol etc is that all the body movement etc is the cover up the fact that 99% of them can't sing. Kind of like some of the awful renditions of the national anthem at races...why do people have to jazz it up. There have been a couple of races where the singer is so go the runners shut up and are mesmorized and go nuts at the end...the majority of the races the runners keep chatting and half heartedly applaude at the end.

Anonymous said...

I have always thought Jessica Simpson looked like she was having convulsions when she was singing. If she had ever been on American Idol, they would have ripped her for all the stupid faces she makes. I don't like her much.