Monday, September 29, 2008

$10 wasted...or at least part of it

I really tried to follow Drs orders when she wanted to prescribe me a pre-natal vitamin to start taking. Chad and I are not planning to start trying to have a baby until around this time next year, but the doctor said it wouldn't hurt for me to start taking prenatals. So, I agreed. I thought it would be better to use the prescribed version of prenatal vitamins, not even thinking that I would have any issues with them. I figured the prescription would cost less than traditional OTC prenatals when my insurance was applied. $10 is a pretty good deal, I think. Plus, if I go through my insurance, then it is easily applied to my flex-spending account.

Ugh! The prenatal vitamins contain a separate capsule for DHA that are fish oil capsules. Ummm.....I DON'T EAT FISH!!!!!! Also, the other pill that comes with it contains iron, which can cause constipation. Ummm....the hormone that I was also just prescribed can also cause constipation. I'm not going to be plugged up with poop for the next year if I take two pills a day that are going to stop me up!

Grrr...so I resigned myself to the fact that I would at least try to take the vitamins instead of wasting the money. I was going to wait until after the marathon Saturday to start them, but I went ahead and tookboth of them this morning. Now I know that I will definitely not be taking the DHA capsules. I have been burping fish stank for the last two hours. I cannot handle it. It is disgusting. I've also decided to wait until after Saturday to try taking the other pill again. I don't want to risk the constipation now that I know the fish pill is so disgusting.

I might have to go browse the aisles of the drug store or Whole Foods to find a better match for me. Surely there are some vegan (or at least vegetarian) versions of prenatals, especially a replacement for the DHA caps.

6 comments:

StephW said...

I know this is probably more information that you want to here.. but I have the same problem that you do expect the opposite (having to go too much). I tired to take them at night (right before I go to bed) but that didn't work. Let me just say long runs weren't fun till I figured out was going on. So I now take them at lunch time with alot of food so my stomach doesn't get as upset. I have tried a couple of brands but still does the same. Not fun.

Unknown said...

Besides going to Whole Foods go to People's Pharmacy...they are the best and their nutrition folks are always there to help.

holly said...

I take prescription prenatals with a stool softner in them. It helps with the added Iron. Mine are called prenate elite. The fish oil I take on my own. I also take them all at night with a light snack.
I also take A LOT of fiber supplements (18 a day) to help with the constipation.

Charles said...

Find out what Paula Radcliff took. Having a baby didn't slow that chick down in New York!

Sadie J said...

Thanks all for the suggestions. I have to take the vitamins in the morning because they could interfere with the hormones that I take at night (especially if I have to take thyroid medication). I'm going to try Whole Foods/People's Pharmacy when I am back from the marathon next week.

Vivian said...

Hey Sadie - I went through 10 different prenatals. There are lots of DHA ones that are vegan and contain no fish oil. The DHA helps with neural and eye development, so it's important to have on board. I had the opposite problem with the iron - my dr told me that if you don't have a history of anemia, there's no reason to take the 90 mcg iron ones, so I stick with the 27. And yes, I learned the hard way not to take them at the same time as thyroid medicine! I'm surprised your doc didn't give you a bunch of samples - I got 10 different kinds because so many people have a lot of different problems with them. After 2 months, finally found one that works!