Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Peak Week - boring numbers post

Peak week has arrived. You know, the week where you run your biggest miles and your hardest workouts. Mac sure gave us a doozy of a schedule. His plan is

8 Monday
10 Tuesday (quality workout with faster than MGP pace)
6 Wednesday
9 Thursday (quality workout with downhill speed repeats)
5 Friday (no rest day)
24 Saturday
8 Sunday

I'm sure as hell not doing 70 without a day off simply because I like to give my body one day to recover. Also, I took last Wednesday off and ran Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun, so I am already on a 4 day in a row streak coming into this week. I don't really feel like going until Wednesday of next week without a rest day...13 days without a break and likely 130 miles in a row. No thanks. If I change around the miles to get Friday off, I get to do almost 81 miles in 8 days, then a rest day, then probably 50 miles in 4 days.

Here's the plan to spread the 5 miles from Friday over the rest of the week -
Monday 10 instead of 8 - Check!
Tuesday 10 quality workout
Wednesday 7 instead of 6
Thursday 9 quality workout
Friday off
Saturday 24
Sunday 10 instead of 8

I figure it will give me motivation to do 70 if I make it an even 10 to round out the week. I really didn't want to front load the week so that I would have a chance to run well at the quality workouts and feel good for Saturday. I'd much rather suffer on Sunday than multiple times early in the week.

Taper here I come!

3 comments:

Mark said...

Meh, what do I know, but by making your changes, you've lost your "relatively easy" days (admittedly while gaining a rest day), you've gone from 8, 10, 6, 9 (kindadown, up, down, up, 8 & 6 being "relatively easy" recovery-ish days) to 10, 10, 7, 9 (flat, flat, down a little, back to where you were, getting just one nod towards easy/recovery-ish). If Mac ok's it, then fine obviously. If it were me, I'd just not do the Friday 5, take the rest day, but not diddle with redistributing those miles ... If you really didn't want to lose those 5 miles for some reason, add one or two to your Tuesday 10 and maintain your relative ups and downs... Like I said, what do I know ...

Ooo, downhill speed repeats! Yay!

Sadie J said...

Nope, I haven't lost the 'relatively easy' days at all. Doing 10 rather than 8 sounds like a lot more than it really is (plus we were able to take it a lot slower than normal and it is already over for the week). I would have done 7 instead of 6 on Wednesday anyhow because it is just as easy to do the 7 mile loop imo. It's mostly all about focusing the intensity for the harder workouts, and not running the easy miles too fast.

Not want to lose the 5 miles 'for some reason'??? The magic number in all of this is 70. If I wanted to run fewer miles, I'd take the crosstraining option on Wednesday.

I've been looking forward to this 70 miles all summer.

MW said...

and now you get to spend more time in the rain on Sunday! YAY for a rain run!
http://www.stormpulse.com/hurricane-ike-2008

(don't listen to Mark. He'll try and sell you a slightly used running metronome or some british army socks) hee hee