Saturday, September 06, 2008

One to go...and a GU review

I did a rolling 20 miler today.  It was the Coach Mac special, with a couple of modifications to keep it fresh.  If you are looking to run hills, here are some to try.  We did all of them on our run today...

Up Enfield under Mopac heading West
Up 12th street from Lamar to Capitol heading west
Up 11th street from Capitol heading west
Up Red River from 11th street through campus to 38th (at least 3 large rollers)
Up 41st either east or west from Hancock golf course  
Up Avenue F from 46th to 51st
Up Duval from 47th to 51st
Up 38th street from Shoal Creek to top of Mopac overpass
Up Mt. Bonnell
Up 38th from Balcones to Exposition
Exposition rollers
Johnson creek bike path either direction

The legs felt great, even after 3 glasses of wine last night.  I was a little worried about it when I woke up this morning, but all was okay.


Also, I tried the new GU Roctane this morning in both the Orange Vanilla and Blueberry Pomegranate flavors.  They were both awesome, and I highly recommend you try them if you want to splurge a little on the price.  Supposedly the added amino acid blend is a benefit to endurance athletes, but it sure does come at a cost.  I found some on sale at REI for $1.79.  I think at Rogue or RunTex it would cost you $2-$2.50 a pop.  I really liked the flavors, even though I am normally a Just Plain/Vanilla Bean girl.  What I like about GU is that they provide the right amount of sugar with the right amount of caffeine (some flavors without caffeine), and the packaging is much smaller than other brands of energy gel.  It is nice being able to carry more gels in less space.

2 comments:

MW said...

sounds like a fun run route!

About the GU review... And simply my opinion:
Sounds very much like a review for casual runners since you failed to tell me total: calories, carbs, protein and sodium/potassium numbers which would he the most important things I'd look for in a by after flavor.
; )

MW said...

by = gu
(stupid predictive text on my iPhone)
doh!