Saturday, September 13, 2008

24 miler down! I'm ready to go!

Hurricane Ike cooperated with my marathon training week. I know a bunch of us wanted some rain, but really all I was concerned with was that this morning was not too windy and not too rainy so that I could get in my 24 miler. You know, you just don't want to have to suffer more on top of suffering when you get above 20 miles.

(I know the folks in Houston, Galveston, and East Texas have a very real, serious type of suffering going on this weekend, but I'm simply talking about normal life in cities like ours who are spared the wrath of natural disasters. I feel very lucky to not live in Houston. My family lived in South Houston in 1983 and evacuated for Alicia. Thank goodness we live in Austin now.)

The run was great, if not a bit warmer than the past few weeks. We felt the pain in our legs like we were supposed to, but there was no bonking. There were plenty of downhills and uphills on the course today so that it felt like a beast. Gus worked. Chafing always happens in new places, despite my best efforts.

Our time for 24 miles was 3:41:55, a 9:15 pace, which put both Tara and I at 63 miles so far this week. I am fully confident that in 3 weeks with rested legs, 40 degrees cooler weather, a lot less humidity, and a faster course that the 3:30 goal is definitely still in sight. It is a big confidence booster to know that I maybe could have cranked through another 2.2 miles today and broken 4 hours for the marathon on an 'easy' hilly run. We definitely did not push the hills. I think with official waterstops and a closed course today, I might have even been able to complete a 3:40 marathon today (my 'C' goal) if we were racing, especially if we took out some of the hills.

I feel ready. I swam a little with Chad in our complex's pool and have done my 2 1/2 bag, 20 minute ice bath. Let me crank out the 7 miles tomorrow to complete a nice 70 mile peak week and let's taper!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WooHoo! The worse is over...I can't wait to hear rom Utah!