Monday, September 22, 2008

Race Prep 107 - Hydration

Course 107 is a lab course in hydration. Note - this is my own personal perspective on how to be hydrated on race day.

Most runners know how to handle their hydration needs by the time they get to race day. This is a reminder to focus on daily hydration and electrolyte balance throughout the taper weeks. These days, I keep a large water bottle containing 24-32 ounces of water next to me at all times and aim to fill the bottle 3-4 times daily. I also drink a cup or two of tea as well, so I am sure to count those ounces as part of my daily total. I try to avoid excess caffeine, but since tea is part of what I drink every day, I don't worry about taking it out of my routine. Also, I will be mindful of my alcohol consumption and limit my wine to one glass with dinner.

Some runners may drink Electromix, Gatorade, or other electrolyte beverages to maintain a healthy electrolyte balance. I personally don't use these types of products because of my own electrolyte needs.

Next Thursday and Friday when we are traveling and on our day before the race, I will be sure to maintain the water consumption that I have at home, plus add an extra bottle or two to account for plane travel and the desert environment that we will be in.

On race day, I will drink water or gatorade with breakfast, possibly also with a cup of tea. I will take water with me on the bus up to the race start and plan to drink from it through 5:30am. At that point, I will stop drinking and make sure I have used the restroom before the race begins. During the race, I will drink every 2-3 miles depending on where the water stops are and when I need to consume a GU. I also plan to drink Gatorade during most of the race.

What do you like to drink? Water? Gatorade? Accelerade? Cytomax? Ultima? Clif? What flavors? I like lemon lime, any kind of blue or purple flavor, or orange. I hope they do not have any fruit punch flavor on the course...gross!

5 comments:

Mark said...

I think St. George serves "Gatorade Endurance" rather than "Gatorade", and I think that just comes in Lemon-Lime ... (at least, the GE website claims to be served at St. George
http://www.itsonthecourse.com/events.aspx although the St. George runners guide just says "Gatorade" so now I"m a little confused, I've been assumg GE and its electrolytes)

Sadie J said...

They have served Gatorade Endurance in the past and was lemon-lime. We haven't seen any Gatorade Endurance in the stores in so long, so I wasn't sure that it was being produced anymore. Seems like Gatorade Tiger is the new higher electrolyte formulation. I'm sure it will be lemon lime flavored, regardless.

Amy said...

GE is still produced, but as you've notice, harder to find. They serve both lemon-lime and orange at Ironman events (to prevent/delay palate fatigue). Mark confirmed with St. George that GE is definitely being served.

t-bell said...

I'm good at taking in plenty of water...its limiting the wine I have trouble with. Good thing the race is in Utah!

MW said...

Water, Nuun, Thermolytes. Personal volumes designed just for me.

As for Gatorade, yuck phooey. Expecially the Orange. Next time you grab an Orange Gatorade of the shelf/fridge, take a look at the very last ingredient. (only Orange Gatorade)

I've signed up for - Race Prep 305 - Shoe Tying - but haven't heard from my professor yet.