Saturday, September 20, 2008

Race Prep - HIS 220b - History of Long Runs

This course is the second semester version of 220a. In this course, we will focus on the weekend long runs throughout training and review the quantity and quality of each run. Also, it is important to revisit any specific personal preparation details about how you prepare your body before, during, and after a long run that help you be successful.

Here's what I go back and look at -

June - 9,10,12,14 - 4 weekends with low mileage long runs. I was frustrated at the low mileage. I wanted to run further.

July
  • 13.75 Coach Mac Special
  • 13.2 - This was a long run combined with an extra quality workout. We did a mile on the track at 10k effort and 4 x 400 at 5k effort. It felt like more than 13 miles because of the effort. (I would equate this to a 15-16 mile effort)
  • 15 miles Coach Mac Special - felt good
  • 12 miles - Mount Bonnell repeats - warmed up and cooled down on Scenic then did Mt. Bonnell repeats at MGP. This was another workout that felt like more than 12 miles because of the effort. (I would equate this to a 15-16 mile effort)

August

  • 17.5 - Coach Mac Special - Major Bonk! Due to poor nutrition the night before.
  • 18.3 - Ran Travis/Tara/Aaron driveway route - felt great, good weather
  • 14 - Recovery week - Don't remember much about this run, but it must have been a Coach Mac Special, because Tara was out of town and I wouldn't have run this by myself.
  • 20.1 - Ran with Tara - alternate route - felt good
  • 10.2 - short run between 2 race nights - Zilker Relays and Nike Human Race - Tara and I ran the damn loop

September

  • 20 - Coach Mac Special - with our own variations so that we could avoid the loops that Mac usually suggests - felt really good
  • 24 - Gateway to the Rock - Coach Mac special backwards from Mt. Bonnell to Rock. Good run, but very sore afterwards
  • 14 - recovery week - beginning of taper - felt pretty good this morning

Things I remember that helped me on long runs -

Pre-run - I need to eat plenty the two days before a long run. Waking up at least an hour before the run is better for me. I need to eat oatmeal and sometimes a banana before a run. Homebrewed Chai Tea is also an option in case I am feeling extra sluggish or need to take care of pooping and I'm afraid that I won't be able to.

During the run - I need to take GU every hour during a long run, or every 50-55 minutes during a race. My stomach can tolerate any amount of caffeine, and I prefer vanilla, plain, or orange vanilla flavors. I can also handle the blueberry pomegranate flavor of GU roctane. I prefer the running top that I own that has the two pockets in the back to hold my GUs this year. I don't need to worry about pinning my GUs. I know which pair of shorts I like best for running longer runs...I still need to bodyglide everywhere, though. I now have mastered running in sunglasses without them fogging, so I will be able to run the marathon in them. I know what bonking feels like and I know what limits of pain I can tolerate.

Post run - I will definitely need a recovery drink and an ice bath. I do better if I continue to move throughout the rest of the day, though light walking is about the limit. I do not want to sit for long periods of time after a long run, despite fatigue. I know I need to keep my feet elevated the day after a long run or my legs will swell greatly. I also know the limits of pain that I can handle without taking Advil. I only take Advil to sleep the night after a long run if I can help it.

No comments: