Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Race Prep 109 (Field Course) - Pre-Race Massage

After your hardest week of training, your legs will likely feel exhausted, sluggish, sore, and otherwise craving tons of rest before you are finally ready to run your marathon.  During the taper period, I like to get one last massage to get rid of the funk in my legs and to help them feel fresh.

Note:  If you don't regularly get massages during your marathon training, you are depriving yourself and possibly a crazy person.  I wouldn't get a massage for the first time this close to your race...just think about them for the next time around.  

Today I had my final pre-race massage with Lisa today.  I've been hiding a secret from you guys...my left leg is experiencing some abnormal pain.  It doesn't feel localized in one spot, but it does hurt pretty bad in the whole lower leg when I walk or run.  I feel like someone has been pounding on my leg bone with a hammer.  Lisa (who admitted that she is not a doctor) said that the way I described and pointed to my leg sounded like a compressed nerve and did a really good job trying to relax and loosen my left leg and hip today.  What I can say is that while it was my entire leg that hurt, the fact that the pain only remains in my lower leg is a good sign.

I have decreased my mileage significantly and took an extra rest day on Monday.  I will follow orders to stretch well this week and take it easy on my leg.  The pain does go away after I have been running for a little while, so it is either my endorphins or loosening of the muscles that help mask the pain.

No comments: