Monday, September 15, 2008

Race Prep 101 - Review inspiration

Since I mentioned in my last post that I am focusing more of my energies into race prep rather than getting through the day-to-day training, I thought I'd share some of this with you. One of the things I like to do is read inspirational quotes, especially those that are running-related.

Who do I have to thank for my first introduction to motivational running quotes? Coach Gunderson (Gundi) was my first marathon coach in 2004-2005. I was privileged enough to run with his group, the 'Ramblers', for a season. One of my favorite memories of that group was that he shared an inspirational quote with us each week to go along with our training schedule. I copied each quote word for word into my training log, a handwritten log on a calendar, and reflected every week about what my goals as a runner would be.

I can't seem to locate my first running log with all of these beautiful quotes, but here is an idea of some quotes that motivate me.
  • 'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano' (ASICS) - or translated - 'A sound mind in a sound body'
  • "Good things come slow, especially in distance running." - Bill Dellinger, Oregon coach
  • "If someone says, 'Hey, I ran 100 miles this week. How far did you run?' ignore him! What the hell difference does it make?.... The magic is in the man, not the 100 miles." - Bill Bowerman - Not intended to be a stab at my Team Rogue friends at all, though I see how it might be taken that way...The quote motivates me to not fret about my own personal preparations against what other people do, whether it is 35, 70, 100, or 120 miles in a week.
  • “If you fail to prepare, prepare to fail."
  • "The marathon's about being in contention over the last 10K. That's when it's about what you have in your core. You have run all the strength, all the superficial fitness out of yourself, and it really comes down to what's left inside you. To be able to draw deep and pull something out of yourself is one of the most tremendous things about the marathon." - Robert de Castella
  • "I definitely want to show how beautiful the marathon can be. I am the opponent of all those who find the marathon bad: the psychologists, the physiologists, the doubters. I make the marathon beautiful for myself and for others. That's why I'm here." - Uta Pippig
  • "This, too, shall pass" - Jewish wisdom folktale - Quote passed to us by coach Gundi at our pre-marathon dinner in Feb 2005. A phrase that isn't just something to ponder during the painful moments of a marathon, but as a reflection of the transience of all things, good or bad. It reminds me to be careful when I am feeling good and fast and to remain optimistic when I am struggling.

2 comments:

kirsten said...

Thank you Sadie - those are great. I can find relevance in all of them!

Unknown said...

I love the one by Castella. Thanks for sharing;-)