Sunday, April 20, 2008

Boston - We made it!

Chad and I flew to Boston yesterday afternoon for the marathon (he's running, not me this year). There were lots of folks on our flight that we knew...Charles C, Paul S, Mike P, Chris N, and a few others that we recognized like my college organic chemistry professor and Kristin Armstrong (with her running gal-friends). Can I also tell you that JetBlue is great? We flew Jet Blue to NYC last April, and it was such a treat to fly them again. The TVs in the seats are the best, plus you get free snacks that are reasonably portioned.

Today we watched the Women's Olympic Trials for the marathon, and it was incredible to witness Deena Kastor's move to catch first place and utter destruction of the lead pack. The first couple of laps, there was an obvious leader followed by a lead pack of 10-15 women. After Deena's move, the pack disintegrated to a line of women who couldn't keep her pace. We were cheering for the Austin contingent (Desiree, Cassie, Lori, Chris) with our friends Kate and Ken. They made these awesome signs that the ladies recognized and acknowledged when they ran by each time they made the loop. We also saw Joan Benoit...incredible!

The expo was so much more crowded this year. Chad was able to get a ton of Boston gear this year (you are supposed to on your first Boston, right?). Now he is set to wear all of his BAA stuff anywhere and everywhere to assert his status as a BQ runner! Gotta love it! I got a couple of running hats and a cute Nike shirt...who cares if I didn't run it this year? My PR is from Boston 2006, and I am here to support my husband.

Tonight, Chad and I are going to take it easy, and then tomorrow I will go around with Jennifer (Duane's wife) to cheer for everyone.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good Luck!!!