Thursday, February 19, 2009

Tempo Time

Today's workout - Warmup - 4 mi Tempo (Enfield 4 course) - 4 x 200 @ 5k pace w/200 easy jog between - Cooldown

Tempo miles -
7:47 (warming up to pace and Veterans hill)
7:26
7:58 (hilly)
7:23
I took the hills conservatively so that I'd be able to do the whole workout. Besides, when we started running tempo, my legs felt like bricks until the last mile. I thought mile 2 was going to be so much slower than it was. Actually, looking at the times again, I'm pretty satisfied with them.

4 x 200
51, 53, 51, 50 (51 is a 6:48 mile or a 21:07 5K, which is definitely faster than my PR)

I don't really believe in the McMillan Pace Calculator to predict my performances because time and time again I have proven it wrong. If I put in 21:07 for 5k, it predicts 3:25:00 marathon. Well, I've only proved that I can hold 5k pace for a 200...whoopee.

I averaged only 7:38s for my 'tempo' section. If I'm trying to get down close to 3:20, that should be marathon pace. Looks like I have a way to go, but considering I'm 4-5 days off of a full marathon with a decent time, I'll take those paces and predictions for now. There is still a lot of training left in the season.

I'm not looking forward to the hills on Saturday's Soul Buster. Hills really put a hurt on my pelvis. Every time we run hills that are too steep, I have trouble recovering and tend to get injured. I'm gonna have to be very conservative until we hit the track on Saturday.

1 comment:

MW said...

"I'm gonna have to be very conservative until we hit the track on Saturday."

Unless he wants some MGP miles on the front half or middle portion, your plan is what it's ALL about!