Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Running by myself

I really love the group atmosphere at Rogue. Sometimes, however, I have to run by myself on a training run so that I can only focus on myself...my breath, my cadence, my form, my pace, without getting distracted by conversation or by following someone else's pace for the day.

Today I chose to start by myself and pick up my 'normal easy pace' to see where it left me in the group. It took a while to figure out my cadence and breathing, but after a pit stop near the baseball fields, I found my groove. I haven't plugged in the numbers, yet, but I think I averaged 8:30-8:40 min/mile for the 14 miles this morning.

My form was also pretty good, despite chafing. I hate this weather for chafing...

4 comments:

Kevin said...

I totally get you on running with groups. You start with a plan and your plan ends up being whatever the group's plan is. If they are slow, you are slow, if they are fast, you are fast. Always good to get out by yourself to test your wheels at YOUR pace.

StephW said...

chafing is no fun. :(

kirsten said...

uh....body glide??

Sadie J said...

I was wearing body glide...unfortunately body glide/aquaphor/whatever product I've ever tried does not work effectively for my skin in the weather we had yesterday morning.

I have extremely sensitive skin to chafing. If I could discreetly take pictures of all of the scarring that I have over my body due to the chafing over the years it would frighten most people.

Other than my lower legs and feet, you can name the body part and I've chafed there (to a bloody scab), even after applying plenty of body glide/aquaphor/vaseline/etc.