Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Aftermath

9 weeks 4 days until Nashville...that includes peak training weeks and any taper that we're gonna do. It is going to go by fast. So far, I've put in some decent work. I've proved to myself that I can set myself up for success and follow up with the results. I'm not chasing Boston. I'm chasing myself.

Coach told me something I didn't want to hear last night, then we talked around each other to get to a good place. I'm not out to prove anything to him, though after what he told me last night, I'm determined to run really well and make him think about me differently as a runner. For me it is about being 'worthy'. I want to be a good athlete...coachable, determined, a good listener, humble, confident. I'm here to run my ass off. I really don't think I'm in the same 'place' as my team members in terms of why I'm part of the team. I don't care about a specific time at Nashville as long as I run as well as I possibly can. This is all a big experiment for me right now.

I was the caboose today by myself for the whole first half or with Stephanie (who also ran the full marathon on Sunday). It didn't bother me to be at the back, though I do wonder when I'll get my legs back. My quads are still sore in spots, but much better than yesterday.

The aftermath...anxious, excited, confident, surely unsure, awkward.

2 comments:

StephW said...

Hey Mrs. Sadie, I had fun being the caboose with you. We had some nice "getting to know" each other time. I really enjoyed the last 5 miles or so. I usually don't get to run with you because you are super duper fast so it was a nice treat. :)

kristenbaucher said...

hey! sometimes our coach likes to tell us we can't do things even though he thinks we can. i know i had a run around conversation w/ him about goals one time and in the same conversation he said "i don't beleive you can do it" and "you're going to get there." it's kind of like when he tells us to "run the hills, but don't run the hills" :) i'm sure you're going to really feel your confidence build as the program progresses!