Thursday, February 26, 2009

The most comforting sound in the world...

My mom sent me this link about the sheriff in South Carolina who was involved in the Michael Phelps marijuana charges. She went to high school with him. The article and speech speak for themselves...I happen to agree that Michael Phelps should be treated the same as everyone else and that if you are going to smoke pot, you should be prepared for whatever legal and personal ramifications come your way.

Not everyone smokes it, even in college. It is not a rite of passage and it kills me that people think it is a cool drug to be involved with or that it shouldn't really count as an illegal drug because it is 'just pot'. (I'm not talking about the legalization of marijuana, I'm simply talking about how officials enforce the existing laws.)

Anyhow...back to the reason of the post. If you watch the video and listen to the accent...that is what you would be surrounded with if you were to visit my family in South Carolina. It is the specific drawl that I have been hearing my whole life when I talk to my family out there. It comforts me like you wouldn't imagine to hear it in somebody's voice. I love picking up some of the little inflections when I am around my family.

Please enjoy.

2 comments:

MW said...

I'm not a pot smoker, but I do think it's funny that pot smokers are boycotting Kellogg's and apparently cereal sales in some regions of this country have slumped.
Others say it's proposturous (sp?) that Kellogg's not want to endorse a pot smoker since they have silly cartoon characters with giant eyes and huge appetites as their mascots.
that's pretty funny to me.
But, Michael Phelps is apparently dull as hell, so maybe they took the opportunity to cut their losses.

funny accents over yonder!

kirsten said...

I have never smoked pot, used crack, shot up heroin and it pisses me off when the inmates at the jail (as I am lecturing them on the perils of doing the same) assume that I smoked, shot up or snorted all of it while when I was young.
Michael Phelp's needs to grow up and take on the responsibility of being the role model he has become since winning those silly medals...if he doesn't like it he should just sand bag and lose a few races.