Monday, August 11, 2008

Weekend Recap

What a great weekend it was! Friday night began with Chad coming home early. I made our Soba noodle dinner (asian-inspired dinner to go with the Beijing opening ceremonies) and we sat in front of the TV watching the opening ceremonies. For the most part, the ceremonies were magnificent and awe-inspiring.

I do call bullshit on a couple of things that were announced during the opening ceremony performances. There is no way that there were people moving the 'boxes' up and down during that performance. You could see the hydraulics and empty space at the bottom of each box during the performance and there didn't appear to be any legs underneath. I do believe there were people hiding inside, but that performance was definitely driven by some sort of computer program.

Also, I call bullshit on the karate performers not having some sort of markings on the floor to make the perfect circles. Our announcers said there weren't any markings, yet in the next few camera angles, you could clearly see there were plenty of marks on the floor. Regardless, it was an amazing performance and would be incredibly difficult even with a mark to hit.

Saturday morning started with an 18 mile run that I was determined not to bonk on. It was a success and we were pleased to find the weather quite cool. Recovering from this run was also fairly easy and I didn't have to suffer through an ice bath. Chad and I went to lunch at Wahoo's and then over to Aaron and Jessica Luther's house for their 'open house' to check out the new baby's future nursery and to just celebrate in general. Jessica looks like she is handling her pregnancy and large belly very well...ther are only 4 weeks left until their due date.

We spent the rest of Saturday watching the Olympics and snuck out to have dinner at the Woodland. I love that place. One thing that was cool about Saturday night was visiting the little sweet shop on So. Congress called Big Top. We enjoyed looking at all of the cool candy varieties and I couldn't resist trying some Chocolate Skittles.

I actually kind of liked them, though they will never sub for the real thing (chocolate or skittles).
Sunday morning we slept in and took our time getting to the trail. It was 10:30am and sunny before we actually began running. I completed 6 miles to get to 50 for the week (2 weeks in a row), and I'm feeling really good. Doing 2 quality workouts a week at Mac workout pace, plus a 5k PR and two 18 milers should have been more painful than it was.
The rest of Sunday was filled with laundry, golf watching, and the Olympics. We also splurged and got pizzas from Austin Pizza Garden. I opted for the Senza Formaggio pizza and added some Sun-dried Tomatoes...I expected it to be good, and it was even better!
I hope you and yours had a great weekend!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Hi Sadie! I'd love to get together sometime. Drop me a note? amy at roguerunning is easiest email address

MW said...

good job on the mileage! Espeically with a 5K PR, and speed workouts AND two 18'ers. ouch!

I agree on the marks for the Karate guys, but disagree on the boxes. I've seen some pictures that clearly suggest humas under there all the time. They have an entire army at their disposal to train them as they wish. I thought it was unreal, but can clearly see how they would have an earpiece or a light trigger down below to help them, but it was human.