Monday, August 25, 2008

Thoughts on my Running Future...

It seems like this time of the season, you runner know about this...when you are about 6 weeks out from your primary race and you start dreaming about what to do next. You're still focusing on the task at hand, but you start to wonder about what else is out there for you.

Here are some things I'm thinking about. I'm not putting it out here because I feel like I have to do them, but rather as a glimpse into my brainstorming session.
  • Training for Boston...I know I still have to re-qualify, but assuming that I do...can't decide if I want to race it again, or if I want to run it for fun. Either way, I think I will want to do some good training beforehand.
  • Pikes Peak Ascent - I can't even believe I'm even thinking about it. I hate trail running, so I won't be training with one of the trail groups to do it. I have climbed that mountain before, so I know what I'm getting into enough to train properly. Also, doing the Ascent is only going to happen if Chad and other running friends decide to do one/both of the Pikes races. I also would have to get in. If all of this unfolds, my goal will be to ascend in under 4:00...definitely possible for me. I am a climber. Ask Charles, Julia, Sean, Clarence, Chad, Sebastian or anyone else who has witnessed me on that mountain.
  • High mileage training - I've always done well with it. I'm tempted to work with whatever coach I end up with after St. George to develop a high mileage training plan that will give me considerable fitness without injury. I'd like to see how my body handles it.
  • Swimming - I'm tinkering with the thought of swimming again. For real swimming. Some of you don't know that I used to swim pretty hard core when I was younger. I'm thinking that I'd like to join a group that meets 2-4 times a week at first to see if I'm really into it again. I need a group to keep me honest and to keep me coming back. I'll probably do a little more research into some local groups and their fees before I truly commit.
  • My interest in swimming does not mean in any way that I'd like to start doing triathlons. I have no desire to get on a bike. Not even a stationary one. Or a tricycle.
  • 3M - If my work meeting does not conflict, I'd like to race it with the goal of making the NY automatic qualifying time for women. For the past two years, my job has involved travel during 3M weekend. I'm crossing all of my fingers and toes that it does not conflict again this year.
  • I'm wondering about what my running life will be like post-babies. The earliest Chad and I will start trying for babies is next August. I know that once pregnancies and babies become issues, running will take a backseat to family priorities. It makes me have a sense of urgency about racing goals for the next year and also excitement to know that so many of my running friends are also mothers. Fast mothers.
  • Marathons that I'd like to run someday - New York, Chicago, London, Houston (racing for time), a Rock-and-Roll marathon...who knows how many others.

3 comments:

t-bell said...

I had way more fun running Boston for fun and that was 2007 during the nor'easter. I didn't really feel like I should be there because I used the same qualifying time twice but I called the BAA to confirm it was ok.

3M: I'm there!

Pike's Peak...maybe I'll be preggers by then and won't have to wuss out.

I will probably run the SA Rock and Roll 1/2 in November for fun jsut to say I was part of the first one.

I'm in for London. You pick the year!!! Can we do Berlin and Paris too? What about Antartica?

Mark said...

Ha! Then I shall see you at St. G, 3M, Boston and NYC! :-)

Thanks for the St. G. hill training tips, btw. I did reply, don't know if that got to you ...

aka whyiron

Unknown said...

All good goals and funny I found myself day dreaming about what's next in my athletic endeavors. Even though I'm slated for marathons through NYC next November.

Good stuff!