Sunday, August 31, 2008

Running Talk - Friday and Saturday

This weekend we ran the Zilker Relays and the Nike Human Race. Mac had us race the Zilker Relays starting at 5k pace for the first two miles and then close as strong as we could the last half mile downhill. I felt pretty good, despite going out at a quicker than 5k pace. I know I lost a little time on the hills in the middle, but I think I finished pretty strong. Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing my split because the person ahead of me had an issue with her chip and her time wasn't recorded. Tara thinks that I ran 18:00 or just under. I think I averaged 7:20 pace, which is faster than the Margarita Run 5k that I ran recently.

People have been complaining about how hot and humid it was on Friday night for the relays. They are crazy (or possibly completely wimpy morning runners). It was an absolutely gorgeous night. The sun was not in our faces. It was not hot at all. It was one of the nicest evenings we've had all summer.

I ran 10 with Tara on Saturday morning. We made the decision to start at 8:00 to give ourselves a holiday weekend treat. Our group didn't meet on Saturday morning, so it was nice to get some extra sleep. The run felt great. We especially appreciated the Rogue water underneath the IH-35 bridge. Thanks Rogue! Despite running in daylight hours after the sun was already up, we thought it was still very pleasant outside and were so glad to have run later in the morning.

More to come about running...we ran the Nike Human Race today.

3 comments:

MW said...

"wimpy morning runners"
Them's almost fightin' words!

I like the "holiday treat" excuse for not being able to get up and crank out 16 on Saturday at 5:30, you "wimpy evening runner who makes up silly excuses for why she can't get out of bed". Hahahhaha
; )

(10 hours simply wasn't enough time to re-hydrate correctly. At least not for me. I bonner, but I didn't wimp.)

Sadie J said...

The wimpy morning runner comment was not directed at any one person. It seemed like everyone we knew who did not ever run in the evening complained of the heat, even though it was one of the coolest evenings of the summer.

I know you're joking about me making excuses for sleeping in, but I think it is crazy to force yourself into an early wake-up call the morning after an evening race. It seemed like a bunch of 'morning runners' complained of sleep troubles after running in the evening, and yet still woke up to run a painful run in the morning. I don't get the 5:30 start, regardless. It is just not that hot...even if you start later and finish at 10am. I can certainly get my butt out of bed, but I think it is pointless.

Unknown said...

I'm totally a wimpy morning runner. i DESPISE running in the evenings. You are correct it could have been hotter. Not hydrating properly on Friday really didn't help.

personally, I LOVE running in the dark. I love not seeing what's ahead of me. Granted I have to be at work by 10am so don't really get to sleep in on Sat.

Great to see you at Zilker & the Nike race;-)