Friday, August 22, 2008

The Monster Month

I don't subscribe to Runners World, but I do sometimes browse their website to catch up on what might be new in the sport or to get the perspectives from some of the athletes who write for their publication. Today I ran across an article from 2005 (coincidentally when I ran St. George the first time) that pretty much sums up where I am in my training...The Monster Month.

'Anytime you train for a race, your mileage goes up. At first, the increases seem small. Then they get larger and larger. And then you hit the Monster Month--the four weeks of heaviest training that come after the buildup phase that boosts your fitness, and before the prerace taper that lets you recharge for the big event.'

Yup, that's me. I'm not hitting the 100-150 mile weeks like some of my friends or the elites, but I am starting my series of 20-24 mile long runs, combined with 55-70 mile weeks to peak for St. George. We do 20 this weekend, have a recovery week, then pile it on with 20 and 24 the next two weeks. Our weekly mileage and intensity is peaking as well. We're doing quality workouts on Tuesday and Thursday that are starting to increase in length and intensity as well. Last night we did 8k on the grass alternating between 10k pace and marathon pace, with no rest. It was challenging and terrific.

The Monster Month will involve me running my ass off, getting in the miles, sleeping a ton, eating as much healthy food as I can, hydrating, resting with my legs above my torso, and focusing on the goals at hand.

'A' goal - sub 3:30
'B' goal - beat my PR of 3:37 and change
'C' goal - requalify for Boston with 3:40:59 or less
Other than that, I'll be disappointed.

Monster Month has arrived...I'm gonna be the monster on race day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there. All the work, rest, good nutrition will pay off!