Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Endocrinologist Update

(If you don't want to read about nipples and body functions, don't read the last paragraph...just a disclaimer.)

Hurray! I finally went to my second opinion doctor this morning to help deal with all of the symptoms I've been going through. I don't know if this will be the final doctor I visit, but I'm happy to know that there is an endocrinologist that is covered by my insurance, that comes recommended by my OB/GYN and a personal friend, and that takes my symptoms seriously. I went to see Dr. Maya Bledsoe this morning first as a 'thyroid' patient and secondarily to deal with reproductive hormones.

Dr. Bledsoe was very thorough in both her listening and explaining of my issues and ways to treat it. She did acknowledge that my last two thyroid readings were in most lab's 'normal' range, but that with the higher values I had, she would not hesitate to treat me for a thyroid problem. She also noted that based on my current levels and my family history, that she wouldn't be surprised if I developed more of a thyroid issue in the future.

Was I hoping to go on thyroid medication today? Part of me says yes, because I'm excited to be 'fixed'. She carefully explained why she might be hesitant to treat me right now with thyroid hormone (basically my age and possibly too much trial and error with treatment). She noted several other symptoms and observations about my body that made her wonder if there might be other hormone issues involved. She noted that my testosterone level was slightly high. Ummm....yeah, I think I have suspected that for years. Dr. Bledsoe mentioned that if we address some of my reproductive issues that my thyroid symptoms might also decrease. I'm all for doing a few more tests if it means we will get a better picture of what is going on. I don't want to be put on the wrong treatment course if we can help it.

The good news is that she said in the end, if I want to be treated as a thyroid patient, she'll treat me. She validated that I was not imagining that my TSH numbers were a bit high, even if they were 'normal'. Both of my readings in the last two years have been high enough for her to treat me. I am trusting my own instincts more than ever. I am thankful, for now, that I made the appointment for a second opinion.

So, for now, I get to follow protocol as an infertility patient. I get to chart my basal body temperature every morning. I get to mark days that I'm bleeding. I even get to report sex with my husband to the doctor. Isn't that hot? Oh, and I get to take a 3 hour long blood test next week to check my prolactin levels. On the internet it says to avoid nipple stimulation before the test. Somehow I don't think recording my body functions in preparation for a 3 hour long test involving needles is going to make me want to have my boobs touched that morning.

3 comments:

dr mel said...

I'm glad you are on your way to getting some answers!

t-bell said...

YEAH!!! Glad everything went well and you FINALLY found someone who would listen!

Anonymous said...

Keep asking questions...I SO HAPPY the doc will be checking on so many possibilites.