Thursday, August 07, 2008

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you...

...my new PR for the 5k - 23:22 (I forgot to put the overall pace - 7:29!)

This beats my old PR of 24:08 by 46 seconds. I did make the mistake of going out too fast like most people usually do, but the pace really did feel about right. Here's the damage:

Mile 1 - 7:15.38
Mile 2 - 7:38.32
Mile 3.1 - 8:28.32 (which is 7:42.1 pace including the .1 mile extra)

I don't think I was suffering nearly as much as the people who finished with me. I was definitely catching people coming down the home stretch. It was a hot one out there, so I'm proud of the time.

Just so you know why my previous 24:08 time was so slow in comparison...I ran that race 12 hours after running a 24 miler at the peak of marathon training for Boston in 2006. I had worked all dayand had to do my 24 miler in the afternoon on Saturday. On the Sunday race morning I also did 4 warm-up miles ahead of the race and a mile cooldown afterwards to max out at a 70 mile week. It definitely took all I had to make it through that race (which was also rather hilly). I'm also very proud of that race as well...I raced in front of and with a bunch of students of mine at the time, and beat all of them.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on the PR!!!

dr mel said...

Your hard work is paying off. Way to go!

t-bell said...

Congrats on a great race. Wish I could have hung in there with you.

my race:
7:15
7:38
7:46
0:50 for the .1
7:32 pace, 23:30

Ken said...

Gooooooood Job Sadie! Looks like you are running well.

Sadie J said...

Woo Hoo!

MW said...

hahah, you cheered for yourself! hee hee!!

CONGRATS!! PR's ROCK!!!
YAHOOOO!!!!!

How many Ritas?!

you should go buy a cupcake today as a reward. I'll be there around 2-2:30

Sadie J said...

Hah! Yeah, that was my mom who left the 'Woo Hoo!' cheer. She was using my computer and obviously did not realize that my computer can't tell the difference between her typing and me typing.

Very cute! Thanks Mom :)