Monday, June 09, 2008

Running Retreat - Recap

The running retreat was filled with things to post about, so I'm struggling with how to get it all in. I think I'll just post some highlights -
  • We stayed on land that was purchased directly from Pioneers who came to Texas, and has remained in the same family (Mac's family) since then. The land was originally purchased from Mexico 2 years before the TX Revolution. The house that we slept in was built in 1886. Very cool.
  • Our run was as hard as I expected, and I was forced to revisit my loathing of trails (and climbing them). However, I kicked butt out there and ran better than I expected.
  • My nutrition counseling revealed that I am getting enough protein (yay) and that I probably need to watch my sodium. I also need to eat more fruits and veggies (go figure), because I resort to eating too many grains when the fridge becomes empty.
  • Crosstraining with Sarah Stewart kicked my ass. I am so wimpy. (However, during the talk with Sarah, we brought up the topic of fast-twitch/slow-twitch muscles and how that related to the particular distance races we chose. Mac said that I was probably the best marathoner in the group, based on how close my 5K/10K/marathon paces are to each other and how I can hold that pace forever. I definitely took it as a compliment and dubbed myself 'slow-twitch' for the afternoon.)
  • We got to talk personally with Jeff Galloway. We heard about some of his experiences at the 1972 Munich Olympics. He talked about his own training and racing experiences when he was at his 'peak'. (He trained up to 100-140 miles per week every week...also was injured all the time.) We talked about the run-walk method. I'd say getting to listen to him talk was one of the highlights of the weekend.

No comments: