Saturday, September 08, 2007

Sadie vs. Elliptical Trainer - Episode 8

Episode 8 - Cheating or Progress?

I went to the gym Saturday morning at 7:00am. I knew the toddPod was low on power, so I started on the elliptical for as long as I could. Todd died after about 7 minutes. Ugh! I did not want to spend a long time in one place today, so I decided to finish 10 minutes on the elliptical and use it as a warmup to weights.

My weight routine today was a little different than normal. I had workout ADD, I guess. I started with the seated leg press and moved to the abductor/adductor machines. At that point I got inspired to follow the '30 minute workout' advertised by 24 hour fitness. You follow a set of blue and yellow machines doing approximately 15 'challenging' reps on each machine in a progression down the line. It sort of gives you a full body weight workout in a short time period. You do the progression of machines twice, so it is like doing 2 sets on each machine, but without a lot of rest between them. Usually these blue and yellow machines are occupied by 50+ year old folks. I have never seen anyone my age on them.

After my two passes through the line, I decide it is time for more cardio and some ab work. I have been trying to run a little every time I go to the gym, but I have not been able to do more than 3 minutes without feeling little twinges of pain. This morning felt a little different.

I decided to use the little track at the gym, and began by running 1 lap (1/10 mile). It felt okay, so I did 30 situps and tried another lap. Lap 2 felt okay, so I did 30 more situps and tried a third. During lap 3, I decided that my hip/sacrum was not feeling as bad as normal, and on the typical 1 to 10 pain scale was about a 1 or 2. My goal at that point was to run as many laps as possible with 30 reps of abs between each lap. At any point my hip felt above a pain level 2, I was prepared to quit.

I actually felt better as the laps progressed, and I am pleased to report that I accomplished running a mile at the gym. That also means I did just over 300 situps(or situp equivalents) to work on my future 6-pack.

Upon returning home, I decided to try to run on the road. At this point I knew that any extra pounding on my hips might set me back in my recovery. I just didn't care...I ran 2 miles with very minimal discomfort. This is WAY more than I have done in the last month. Way more.

I feel good about it. I don't feel sore after the fact. I am still continuing to think that I am on the way out of the woods on my injury.

1 comment:

dr mel said...

I'm glad that you were able to run! Please continue to be smart about it though (which it sounds like you were today) and don't do it if it hurts because I'd hate to see things not continue to improve.