Friday, April 03, 2009

Voskos Greek Yogurt

Yeah, I'll admit to being lax on veganism. It is something that I ideally strive for, but there are some things in life that I'm just going to choose to eat. I've had some suspected trouble with wheat these days, so my diet was soon to become way too restrictive and I've been loosening the reins to revert back to 'vegetarian'. (BTW, I'm going to be celebrating 10 years of vegetarianism at the end of May...woohoo!)
I've been eating selected dairy products that I deem 'worthy' of eating. If I see a product that offers a low calorie, high protein, low sugar snack, I'm interested in trying it. I'm a believer in no rBST/rBGH-free so you won't catch me buying just any dairy products.

Greek yogurt is one of the dairy products I have been choosing to eat. These days, there are many more offerings of greek yogurt in the grocery store, but the brand I tried today is far and away the best tasting greek yogurt that I've had. I didn't have to add any sweetener and the 'tanginess factor' is not too harsh.

Voskos Greek Yogurt - I tried the Fig flavor. YUM!!! Think sweet fig newton meets tangy cheesecake. It was 160 calories, 11 grams protein, no fat, and is completely fruit juice sweetened, so there is no added sugar. I bought it at Whole Foods on Lamar, but I can't remember how much I paid for it.
If you're used to Yoplait or Dannon (fake and nasty sweet), this yogurt may be a shock. You will have to adjust your tastes. The ingredients are pure and simple - Grade A Pasteurized Skim Milk, Fruit Juice Concentrate (Pineapple, Peach, Apple, Pear), Fig, Tapioca Starch, Citric Acid and Live and Active Cultures.

1 comment:

kirsten said...

yum, I love greek yogurt. I'll make a point to try that kind soon. I like OIKOS although I see it has added organic sugar but otherwise just non fat milk, blueberries, pectin, elderberry juice.
To me greek yogurt flavored or not with or without fat tastes like sour cream (and that is a good thing).
No comparison b/w this and yoplait etc.