Tuesday, April 21, 2009

MIA - hip hurt, heat, health

I've missed some workouts. I've been doing my own thing lately with this sore hip of mine. I missed Saturday's run with the group because my hip was still achy. Sunday I ran on my own and it felt pretty good. I only managed to get in about 8 miles, but I'm okay with it. Yesterday I loosened it up some more with an easy three. So, why wasn't I there this morning? It is part of my super secret strategy to combat the warm weather we are about to feel in Nashville.

I've been sleeping in every morning and running on my own in the afternoon warm weather now for about a week. I've got 7-10 planned for today during the hottest part of the day. I'm gonna sweat and feel very hot and uncomfortable. I'm even wearing black to maximize the warmth. Actually, every day that I have done this has helped make the next run feel more comfortable. I'm getting the extra hours of needed sleep, focusing on hydration during the day, and getting used to running in the heat in the afternoon.

It's looking to be 60 degrees at race start and 75 at the finish. Umm...that's a little warmer than my preferred race temp, but I'm hoping that these afternoons at 85 degrees make the race feel cooler by comparison. At the very worst, I've gotten a full night sleep (8-10 hours) for seven days in a row.

My weight is back down to the low point during the month, so hopefully my nutrition efforts will keep it manageable through Saturday. I'm feeling as good as I can feel with a less than ideal taper situation, so I'll just have to roll with it.

Thursday we travel. Friday we rest, packet pickup and scout the course. Saturday we run. Eeeek!

2 comments:

Keith said...

Perfect choice of music.

MW said...

Best of luck Sadie! You're going to rock it!