Monday, April 20, 2009

Marathon Monday


The Boston Marathon gun is going off right about this time today. I personally know at least 30 people who are running there today. I finally admitted yesterday to Chad that I was a little jealous. I was supposed to get to run Boston again this year. Had I run the race I wanted to in St. George in October, I'd be lining up with Tara in wave 1 and getting to enjoy the perfect running conditions today. It obviously was not meant to be. I have even technically qualified to run Boston this year, but the timing was too late to register.

I'm excited to run Nashville this coming Saturday. Will we have the awesome weather that Boston is getting right now? No. Will we get all of the cool running shwag that all of the Boston folks get to bring home? Probably not. Will I get a PR? I better. My PR is 3:37. I've been training for a 3:20. The hip has calmed down for the moment. I will not be running faster than easy pace until Saturday's race so as not to encourage any more hip flare ups.

Am I worried about not making my goal? Sometimes. I've been channeling my friend Tausha since yesterday. She was battling severe foot pain towards the end of her training before CIM. It was doubtful whether or not she would even toe the line. Did she? You bet! Did she run a good race? You bet...she broke 3:10 (though I think her foot was broken when it was all over)! I keep reminding myself that I've put the work in. I've run the miles. There is no reason to not go for my goal. If the day unfolds differently than I hope, then so be it. I will be patient, listen to my body and adjust only when it is ultimately needed. Hopefully that time never comes.

Regardless of how I run in Nashville (or Portland in October), I'm qualified to go Boston next year. The only things left to be determined are if I start in wave 2, wave 1, whether I'm not pregnant and run with a goal, whether I'm pregnant and run easy, whether I'm pregnant and don't run, or whatever situation unfolds. Those are things to look forward to deciding next year. No matter what it is a win-win-win for April 2010.

Plus, until 2010, I still hold the Jones family record time for Boston. 3:37:21 :) This is the only family marathon record I hold for marathons that Chad and I have both run.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You've done the work necessary to achieve your goal...now relax, rest and visualize your success;-)
I'm sending you good karma!!!

We'll be tracking you come Saturday...for the record this tracking stresses me out!

I liked the Nashville race- it was my first marathon.