Monday, July 07, 2008

Running Inspired

This weekend, I had the pleasure of using inspiration to get me through my runs.

Jordan Hasay - I was so excited to see the semifinals of the Women's 1500 on Friday night where Jordan Hasay (the high-schooler with the long blonde ponytail) ran a fantastic race to set a new high school national record and qualify for the Trials finals. She looked like she ran a comfortable race and finished with a strong kick to pass the other women to get into 5th place in her heat. What a wonderful performance!

During my 14 mile run the next morning, I kept picturing myself as Jordan...steady pace and with a long blonde ponytail. If I started to tire, I imagined myself with a long blonde ponytail and good running form. I used her inspirational run to finish strong on Saturday.

Donnell - There is this man that walks and runs on the trail. He is a very tall (6'4"?) black man who must have weighed over 300 pounds at one time. I noticed him several months ago walking with his much smaller friend, and at the time thought that it was great that someone of his stature was out on the trail working out. I have seen him many times during my runs, and it is quite obvious that he is putting in time on the trail to get in shape.

In the past few weeks, his appearance has changed. The weight that he has dropped is visibly missing from his body. I remarked to Chad a few weeks ago that he looked to be much smaller. He is one of those guys that is inspiring to see day after day. At first, I would only see him walking, but the past few times I have seen him, he has been jogging.

Anyhow, I took a moment during my run on Sunday to introduce myself and run with him for a few yards. He was very nice and introduced himself as Donnell. I let him know that I had noticed his hard work and how awesome I thought it was to see the obvious change in his size. I think he really liked my compliments and seemed to be very excited that I noticed him. When I asked, he said that he had lost 50 pounds. Wow! So, I take inspiration from Donnell. If he has the energy and drive to get out on the trail and work his body, then I can do it, too.

No comments: