Friday, July 18, 2008

Compression Bandage and Traumeel

My apparent quad strain is for real. I went to workout last night prepared to do an easy warmup and prepared to attempt the workout at a conservative pace. At any moment, I was prepared to call it quits because of the pain felt in my quads on Tuesday night. Everything that I have read about quad strains recommends RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation). If the pain is relatively minor, it is recommended to continue exercising, but with a light effort. Also, anti-inflammatories are suggested.

Last night at workout, I made it through the easy 1.5 mile warmup with no twitches. When we began the drills, I found that the 'butt kick' drills started to aggravate my quads a touch. By the time we got to our strides, the increased effort brought back the strain in my quads. GRRRR!!! I decided to follow protocol and abandon the high-effort part of the workout. Instead, I ran the mileage at an easy pace and did not have pain.

I also began the recommended anti-inflammatory/compression bandage treatment last night and will hopefully start to see increased relief soon. I am using Traumeel ointment combined with a compression bandage (worn for 4-6 hours then removed at regular intervals). I plan to continue running easy mileage for a week and then test it again with a workout on July 29th.

1 comment:

t-bell said...

my massage thearpist recommended Traumeel for my calves. I'd never heard of it before then and now its twice in 2 days. Hope the leg is doing better. at least you have an excuse for not doing the workout. i just SUCKED!!! oh, and I'm having a cookie.