Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Quad Pain gone - Marathon Workouts begin

After babying my legs last week, I thought I would need still another week to nurse the minor quad strain. Nope. Last night we transitioned to a marathon prep workout instead of the 5k/10k workouts we've been doing. I didn't even think about my quad until I was well into the workout, and it wasn't because it was hurting...My legs weren't hurting at all.

Here's the breakdown -

2.5 mile easy warmup from the Austin High Track to the 0 mile marker at Auditorium Shores.water, stretch, bathroom stop
2.5 miles mgp (goal 7:45-8:00 minute miles)
  • mile 1 - 7:51 (maybe a little fast to start)
  • mile 2 - 7:56 (settled in - started to breathe a little too hard for MGP)
  • mile 2.5 - 3:56 (7:52 pace - was breathing too hard, but it was damn hot yesterday)
water break at the track
1 mile on the track at 10k pace (aimed for 7:20 pace, but only could manage 7:31)
1 mile cooldown

I suffered during the last 600 meters of the 10k mile. At the point of cooldown, I realized that I was extremely dehydrated and felt like crap. Lesson learned. Drink more water during the day, or suffer at the end of workouts. Even though my body is like a camel's (I am extremely talented at retaining water), I think I might have started with an empty tank yesterday.

No comments: