Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Fax Machine Hell

I call a dr office to try to get them to release some of my lab results from a few years ago...

You'll need to fill out our patient release form, sign it, and fax it to us.

Okay no problem. I have a fax machine.

Fax try number 1 - no answer
Fax try number 2 - no answer

I call the dr office and politely tell the receptionist that their fax machine is not picking up. She tells me to hold while she checks it...I love being on hold, by the way. The receptionist tells me that it is working, because they just sent a fax to someone. She says I can try it again today or, if that doesn't work, try again tomorrow.

Seriously? Aren't fax machines supposed to give you instant gratification? I should be able to dial the number and send it immediately. If I wanted my paperwork to get there tomorrow, I would hop in my car, drive the form to the post office, and mail it before 5pm today.

Fax try number 3 - no answer

At this point, I scan the document and send it as an attachment to the information email address on their website. Just in case their freaking fax machine doesn't ever decide to work, at least I tried to get them the form outside of putting a stamp on it.

Fax try number 4 - Connects (finally!), but there is an error, specifically error 358*
*A communication error occurred during the fax transmission. (No shit!) If you're sending, try again and/or call to make sure the recipient's fax machine is ready to receive faxes. (Um, I thought I just did that. There is no way I'm talking to the receptionist again today.)

Fax try number 5 - no answer

Fax try number 6 - success

Now let's see how long it takes them to give me my lab results. My guess is Friday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are way too optimistic...maybe Monday or Tuesday!