Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Mother's Day Feast - TMI

Runners talk about poo all the time. It is not a big deal, though sometimes there is a huge TMI factor. And I know what you are thinking...I should be honoring my Mom instead of talking about poo. Sorry Mom, for ruining the one post that should be dedicated to you. We really did have a great night! Please be warned that if you do not like poo talk, steer clear of this post.

Chad and I took my mom and his mom and stepdad to Uchi for Mother's Day dinner. We had so much fun ordering, or rather I had a great time ordering the majority of the meal. We got:
Uchiviche
Hot Rock
brie tempura
grilled baby octopus
pumpkin, asparagus, and eel tempura pieces
cooked saltwater eel sushi pieces
California roll
salmon/asparagus roll
applewood smoked yellowfin special
lobsterettesspecial
Pinot Gris and Pinot Grigio

The yellowfin was divine and probably the best thing on the menu. The lobsterettes were the most expensive item at $36 dollars, and was a bit of a let down. It was one of the smallest items delivered to the table and very difficult to share. Breaking up the lobsterette and eating risotto with chopsticks was definitely a challenge. In all it was a fantastic meal!

The most entertaining part of the menu was the delivery of the baby octopus. There were 5 deep red baby octopus that were about 2-3 inches long. At first they were kind of hard to recognize because they were individually skewered through the head vertically down through the center of each animal. When we all realized that we were delivered the entire octopus to eat, we could not help but laugh. I got my mom to try one arm/tentacle of the octopus, and I managed to eat almost 2 whole octopuses. Eek!

The crazy thing about the meal is that all I was thinking about for the next 24 hours was what those 2 little octopuses were going to look like coming out the other end. Were they going to be like corn kernals and come out whole? Yikes! I was kind of dreading going to the bathroom.

Thankfully, I really didn't have time to process (no pun intended) what was going to happen because it actually became a bathroom emergency on my Monday 8 mile run. I had to go after 4 miles and in a panic I raced to the tennis court bathrooms near the Mopac bridge. It was such an emergency that I didn't realize that the octopuses would have gone through my system and be in the poo in the toilet right then. I turned around with horrible dread waiting to see 2 little creatures staring back at me...

It was all good. I would have had to puke or scream or somehow react in the most disgusting way had there been little tentacles in the poo. I am pleased to say that the human body does process octopus as a protein and not like corn kernals. You will not have evidence of little creatures the day after.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...ouch! I wish I had not read this while eating lunch.