Tuesday, June 23, 2009

New Breakfast

Sugar-sweetened oatmeal - good riddance! There is a new breakfast in town that has replaced you as my new favorite. Honestly, I never thought I could eat plain oatmeal. It's just so plain. pasty. bland. mushy.

I thought I was doing great to eat the organic apple cinnamon oatmeal made by Central Market. It has 150 cal per pack and an okay amount of protein...especially when you eat two packs at a time for breakfast. Well, I've graduated to the adult oatmeal now. I take one packet of CM organic plain oatmeal (150 cal, but not with the sweeteners, and instead with higher protein and a little higher fat). To make it palatable, I finely slice one whole banana (or a peach) and mix the fruit in.

It is much more filling than the old sugary apple cinnamon oatmeal, and now instead of the added sugar, I get a full serving of real whole fruit instead of the reconstituted apples. The first time I tried it, I also added some slivered almonds for some crunch. It was yummy! I don't miss the sweet stuff at all. really. really...the sweet tooth girl can do without sometimes.

5 comments:

Texas Transplant said...

I like to use regular oatmeal with a tbsn of honey, a banana and some berries of some sort and some pecan pieces - sticks with you all morning!

-random stranger who reads your blog.

MW said...

i dont' like oatmeal, but i am gettig tired of my daily pre run cereal.
i wonder if it would work with blueberries and if they would mask the taste enough to make it good enough for me.
(i see so many oatmeal eaters that it always makes me wonder)

Sadie J said...

Mike, you might actually like the apple cinnamon oatmeal...it tastes somewhat like apple cobbler if you don't think about the word 'oatmeal' as you put the spoon in your mouth. Otherwise, I found that peaches were really good in it, too. Maybe peaches, cinnamon and a little nutmeg would be yummy!

Thanks for the comment Texas Transplant! That sounds very yummy, too. Congrats on your 16!

MW said...

so in between innings of the UT game last night i got stuck on the get me out of here i;'m a celebrity thing, because they were drinking blended insects in smoothie type drinks.
so they asked Jon Salley how the tarantula tasted (yes, I am aware a tarantula is not an insect), and he says: "It tasted like pistacchios. I like pistacchios, so i just deciced that everything is going to taste like pistacchios, so that's what it did."
So i guess that's kind of what you mean, huh?

kirsten said...

I make regular oatmeal (not the kind in the little packet) in the microwave - 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 cup water, at least 1/2 cup fresh blueberries - cook it until it is the consistancy you like and most of the blueberries have popped. If I have maple syrup I put a little on top and maybe a small pat of the fake butter I eat and if I have it a little milk. Stir up and enjoy - tastes like blueberry pancakes.